A Catalyst to success

Apple, Microsoft and Facebook are names that have become an inseparable part of today’s life. Success is one keyword that associates all of these companies. “What is success, and how is it measured?” is a question we hear way too often. Therefore, this article would take a slightly different approach, focusing on another word that has become immensely popular – entrepreneurship.

Indeed, everyone in the business world hears this word at least a dozen times daily. When the name Steve Jobs is mentioned, people immediately think of it as a great example for the word entrepreneur.

The definitions of the word could vary, however the essence is one and the same – a person who takes risk in the hope of making profit. The stories of people such as Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg inspire a lot of young minds to take the leap of faith and start their own business.
Moreover, the acceptance of failure, something less talked about in Europe, has become synonymous with success in Silicon Valley firms. With the message being, ‘don’t let the fear of failing stop you, but think carefully before investing a lot of resources.’

Having a brilliant idea about something absolutely new is not always mandatory. People shouldn’t be discouraged to look forward into starting their own business if they do not have a particular innovative design in mind.

Although having an idea is great, sometimes one has to spend time working in a particular business environment, just selling services which are by no way new, in order to find what people actually demand and would buy. Not having even the slightest notion of what you would like to do should not put you off of following into the steps of entrepreneurship.

Having customers who would actually buy your product is just as important as having an idea. Even if you come up with the most groundbreaking (in your own mind) product, your business might fail due to little or no demand for the said product.

People often neglect the fact that the University of York has its very own entrepreneurs, some of whom have become incredibly successful. The University has tried to promote entpreneurship by allocating work spaces in the Catalyst and the Ron Cooke Hub on Heslington East.
It also offers multiple sources of funding through the Careers Services to kickstart a venture.

It’s rare approach to supporting entrepreneurship has created a more competent business culture. With these in place, the next Zuckerburg may well come from York.