In conversation with Jeremy Paxman

Photo credit: Agatha Torrance

Photo credit: Agatha Torrance

On Friday, Jeremy Paxman visited the university for the latest event held by Nouse Events, a new speaker programme being run by the paper. After hosting Lord Adonis for their inaugural event on October 31st, the event was their second of the term. Having quickly sold out online and been moved to a bigger venue, expectations were high as the week drew to a close.

Despite being delayed by challenging travelling conditions, once the event got underway, Mr Paxman, armed with his characteristic dry wit and penetrating insights, had the packed room of over 300 people gripped throughout. Paxman was interviewed by the three members of the Nouse Events team: Leonie Blakeway, Harry Lambert and Adam Seldon, and had no qualms about combating the questions head on, making for some entertaining viewing, sometimes at the expense of the interviewers.

Photo credit: Agatha Torrance

Photo credit: Agatha Torrance

A range of subjects were discussed, from Paxman’s interviewing style to the BBC, the Levenson enquiry and University Challenge. After the interview, there was a Q and A with the audience in which the BBC was again the focus of the discussion, but which also touched upon other topics, such as higher education. This Friday, Nouse Events will host its last event of term, where the recently re-elected George Galloway will give a talk. More events are set for next term.

Read the write-up on the University website