Lacrosse men continue good form to beat Bangor

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 13-3 BANGOR UNIVERSITY
BUCS Cup

Images: Ewa Tarnowska

Bangor were unable to prevent the rampant York men’s lacrosse team from storming to their sixth win on the spin, as a combination of technical excellence and swift counterattacks saw York win 13-3 on the 3G pitch. With their perfect record intact, the team are now set for a crunch match with arch rivals Durham seconds.

Almost immediately the game settled into a pattern, as York exhibited their confidence by allowing themselves to soak up the pressure of the Bangor attack. They would then, time after time, steal possession of the ball and rapidly counterattack. Smart use of rolling substitutions meant that the moment York crossed the halfway line, two defenders would make way for two attackers, easily outnumbering the Bangor defence.

The tactic would pay dividends, as the York attack would run amok in the opening half of the game. Joe Tebbutt, Chris Menon and Andy Thomas would all score two goals apiece as the culmination of scintillating counterattacks, with Bangor seemingly having no answer to the speed and flair in which York marauded down the pitch.

The single goal that Oli Goldsmith would score in the second quarter would earn Bangor virtually no let up at all from the York onslaught, as the solitary goal would be followed by another three goals from York’s Tebbutt, as well as a ranged effort from Thomas. This would leave the score at 10-1 to York at half time.

The main difference seemed to be the substitution tactic, which Bangor simply could not match. With only two substitutes at their disposal compared to the eight that York possessed, Bangor were continually overrun, and did not have the comfort of a breather apart from the short breaks between quarters.

With the comfort of a rather considerable nine goal cushion, York looked to turn on the style in the second half of the game. Their efforts would be scuppered by a much improved Bangor work rate, going some way to narrow the void in quality between the teams.

Despite an improvement from Bangor in terms of the possession that they retained, their finishing did not match the level of effort the team was putting in, meaning that with only one quarter left to play, Bangor trailed 12-1, after Thomas and Tebbutt added one more each for York, leaving their totals for the match at four and six respectively.

With only a quarter left to play, Bangor would score some consolation goals for their troubles, as Goldsmith slotted home two goals to complete his hat-trick. The match would finish with York winning 13-3.

York Captain William Chun struck a sombre figure at the end of the game, no doubt already looking ahead to the all important clash next week. Talking to Nouse about the change from a fixed to a fluid formation, Chun said it had “worked out well” for the team. Forever the perfectionist, Chun stated “defensively, we started out slowly, but as we noticed our mistakes our attacking game came into play.”

With four training sessions a week and an alcohol ban now in place, the rematch against Durham will be a crucial opportunity for the team to exorcise their own 13-3 defeat, and see how far they have come as a team.

1. cool review but the future tense use was a bit annoying, “would score”, “would be scuppered”…