Student hit by car outside library

A student was taken to hospital after being hit by a car outside the library this evening.

At around 6.55pm, the student was hit while crossing University Road, opposite the JB Morell library. A police officer interviewed at the scene said the student was “caught on the passenger wing” of an oncoming car, and “banged her head” as a result of the collision.

According to the officer, the student had “looked to the left with a hood up”, while the driver, a lecturer at Askham Bryan College, was “coming from the right”. The officer said he wanted to “reinforce to look both ways” and warned, “particularly for foreign students” who may not be “used to automatically looking for traffic in the right direction”.

Three emergency services vehicles, including an ambulance and a police car, were at the scene within 10 minutes of the incident, and after about fifteen minutes the student was taken to hospital. However, another officer at the scene reassured that the injury was “nothing serious”.

Photos: Tom Witherow

1. Hope she gets better soon.

2. The speed of the cars should be reduced on this road.
    So often cars travel to fast on this road.
    This road should be treated as a busy high road and have a 20mph speed limit.

3. It’s a long, straight road so a speed limit will just be ignored. The only feasible option is to get speed bumps installed. Anybody willing to petition the council?

4. 29 Nov ’12 at 11:32 am

zebra crossing

zebra crossing

5. 1 Dec ’12 at 9:11 am

Alan B'stard

Maybe students should just be more careful crossing that road?

6. Maybe there should be a proper bloody crossing? The entire length of University Road is a deathtrap, there especially needs to be a zebra crossing or traffic lights near the roundabout at Hes Manor. I’m surprised there aren’t more of these incidents, I hope the poor girl’s alright.

7. Why not just use the two fly-overs? Its impossible to get run over on them (unless flying cars are invented).

8. Students need to be more careful on the road. Honestly the number of times I’ve had people step out almost directly in front of my car is worryingly high. I don’t know if it’s careless local students or internationals who look the wrong way, but road safety really needs to be emphasised more.

On the part of the drivers though (as thus is a two-sided issue), something is being done, the council is phasing in a city-wide 20mph speed limit over the next few years, so at least if more accidents like this do happen, they’ll be much less dangerous.

9. 3 Dec ’12 at 8:29 am

A Ninny Mouse

If road safety is becoming an issue on that road, YUSU should probably start a campaign focusing on it.

But that relies on them not being terrible at everything they do.

10. I feel bad for the girl but people really do need to pay more attention when crossing that road, especially as there are always buses, cars and bikes everywhere, not to mention the amount of people at peak times. On numerous occasions I’ve had to slam my breaks on when students seem to think they’re invincible and can just walk in front of my car and I’ve seen other drivers have to do the same. Surely common sense tells people not to walk in front of an approaching vehicle, especially with their hood up which decreases their vision of the road! Despite this, a zebra crossing/speed bumps are definitely needed on uni road as it’s so easy to speed down there, especially when trying to get past the buses at the bus stops