New temporary shop for Heslington East

Credit: University of York

Credit: University of York

A new temporary shop will be opening on Heslington East Campus, YUSU President Kallum Taylor announced yesterday.

At the beginning of next term, a convenience shop will open for business in the Law and Management building on the new campus. The shop will be installed in place of the small cafe that currently operates from the Law and Management building.

In an exclusive interview with Nouse, Taylor said, “This new shop will be in place for at least the rest of the year. But we want to get a ‘real’ permanent shop nailed down by the end of the year”

He confirmed that the University, and not YUSU, would be funding the initial set up and running costs of the shop, but with a view to YUSU incorporating a permanent Heslington East shop into their commercial services next year.

He continued, “It probably won’t stock alcohol, seeing as we’ve got the Glasshouse, and the off-license over the road, but it depends on how strong demand is.”

In a blog post on the YUSU website, Taylor said, “Whilst definitely not at the expense of our students on Hes West, there are too many niggling issues over there, combined with long term concerns which are making the place less homely, and far from the vibrant campus we all want to be proud of… it should go some way to making Hes East feel a bit more like a home.”

Taylor has invited students to submit their suggestions through an embedded survey in the blog post, on details such as opening hours, products stocked, and further Heslington East expansion.