The Experiment. Whisky with a Twist

Ingredients:
Glenmorangie 10 year old single malt
1/2 tumbler Bulmers apple cider
Orange peels
1-2 tsp vanilla extract

With Bond fever gripping the nation, perhaps it’s time to drink something more stylish. However we’re not going for the Martini. Inspired by one of the most famous Bonds, it’s time for a whisky based drink from Sean Connery’s home country.
While many of us like a dram, the acquired taste means many don’t like it neat. A whisky cocktail should hopefully hold a wider appeal, taking the harshness out of it.

A Hot Toddy doesn’t sound very appealing, and while it is normally quite enjoyable it’s not the most interesting drink. Usually it consists of just whisky, hot water and sugar. This week’s experiment will try and make it more exciting.

The method:
1. Peel the orange and put a few strips in the glass – make sure it’s a tumbler.
2. Pour in your whisky. The type of whisky used depends on your own preference. Luckily I still had some Glenmorangie left so it was ideal. While malt is best, even a blended whisky should be fine, or supermarket own brand malt could even work since it is not being sipped neat.
3. Pour the vanilla extract in and stir.
4. Heat a saucepan and pour in the cider, heating it until it is hot enough to warm up the rest of the drink.
5. Pour into the tumbler and give it a quick stir. It should be about half whisky and half cider but you can do more of either depending on how strong you want it to be.

Although whisky and cider mixed together sounds like the beginnings of a dirty pint, it actually works quite well.
If you’re wanting to be more adventurous, lemon can also be used or perhaps try pear cider instead of apple or cinnamon instead of vanilla. This is a simple drink that can have many delicious variations.

1. Just made this while cooking massive Christmas dinner and listening to carols. Ideal.