PhD’s ‘Movefellas’ Movember

Photo credit: Theo Georgiou

Photo credit: Theo Georgiou

Two PHD students and three alumni members of the University of York, have formed a team to raise money on behalf of Movember, for Prostate Cancer UK and the Institute of Cancer Research.

The team is called ‘Movefellas’. Koulla Mikellidou, the ‘Mo-Sista’ of the team told Nouse: “Our names are Nikos Yfantis, Kleanthis Malialis, Spiros Tsitsilianos and Koulla Mikellidou and our slogan is ‘We’re on the move..fellas! How about you?’

“For the whole month we are going to become walking, talking billboards and through our actions and words we will raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health.”

The team’s aim is to raise at least £1000 by the end of the month. By Mo Day three they had raised £125 and had recruited one more Mo Bro, Dimitris Klimis, also an alumni member of the University of York.

Movember is a global movement to raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and testicular cancer.
It begun in Melbourne, Australia and until now it has more than 1.9 million inspired people who have the same goal.

Everyone can participate and is encouraged to do so. The way to engage in the community is by registering on the official site and then by joining or creating a Movember team of people with the same goal.

The men, which are called Mo Bros, have to grow moustaches all over November after they have shaved on the first of the month.
At the end of the month, all of those involved celebrate their Movember journey, throwing their own Movember parties, or attending one of the Gala Parties held around the world.