Local Spotlight: Getting Nowhere

Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating.“Getting Nowhere” is an international festival celebrating the centenary of John Cage

Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating.

John Cage is most famous for his silent piece 4’33” and for sticking the contents of his toolbox into a piano. His works are just as effective and striking now as when they were first performed. Even today, his compositions divide opinion and influence modern-day artists in all forms of media.

“Getting Nowhere” is an international festival celebrating the centenary of John Cage, the largest of its kind in the UK. It is organised by students and staff at The University of York. The students are under the guidance of leading Cage expert Professor William Brooks who says “I’ve spent much of my life thinking about—and actually working with—John Cage, and this is a wonderful opportunity to pass on whatever I can to a new generation of creative performers”.

The first night kicks off on Wednesday 14th November in the University Concert Hall with a spectacular performance of Concerto for Prepared Piano and Orchestra with soloist Nicky Losseff and performances continuing until late. The second evening includes a complete performance of Song Books on the new Heslington East Campus; the first performance of its kind to take place in the unique space of the Ron Cooke Hub. On the third night, soloist Nicky Losseff is joined by Gamelan expert Sekar Petak for Cage’s Concerto for Piano with Gamelan Orchestra. The festival culminates on Saturday with a series of free performances all day around the city of York. Visit: www.gettingnowhere.org