Extra VC consultation scheduled

Photo credit: chicgeek

Photo credit: chicgeek

An extra Vice-Chancellor consultation meeting has been arranged for Thursday week six.

David Duncan, University Registrar and Secretary, has agreed to meet interested students in an extra students’ consultation at 6.30pm on Thursday 15 November. The provisional venue is Yourspace in the new Student Centre, although this is yet to be confirmed.

Nouse was informed of the new consultation in an interview with Josh Allen, outgoing Community Chair, who has been involved in securing the extra consultation.

This meeting will be the third arranged for the whole student body, making a total of eight consultations run by recruitment firm Odgers Berndtston, who were employed by the University to assist in finding the new Vice-Chancellor.

In an interview, Duncan said, “The consultation went very well. The advert and person spec undoubtedly reflect the things people said in the consultation round.

“Among other things, we are looking for someone with a strong interest in student experience, an understanding of research strategy, an excellent track record as a leader, someone with first-class ambassadorial and interpersonal skills and a team builder.”

The initial plans were for five staff consultations throughout August and September, and only one for students at the beginning of term, attracting criticism from students including Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, who described it as “a joke worthy of any YUSU Freshers’ Comedy Night”.

When it emerged previous negotiations with the University on the matter had failed, Taylor said he “revisited the relevant people and made the same points perhaps a little more emphatically.”

A further meeting was then arranged in the second week of term, giving a total of 231 seats for York’s 14,000 students to attend a consultation.

On his blog, Taylor said, “I’m reassured and delighted with the University’s decision to increase the students’ involvement in this process. Students’ ever increasing ownership of their institutions should naturally be welcomed over the next few years, rather than feared. Whilst these sessions are indeed ‘extras’, it’s vital that we make this kind of thing the norm.

“If we get the wrong person, we’ll be kicking ourselves! If they cannot make [the meetings], then they’re more than welcome to pass their thoughts onto myself or the other Sabbs.”