Tennis firsts held at Northumbria

York’s men’s tennis first team continued their undefeated start to the season with a closely fought draw against a strong Northumbria side.

Having met for the early train up to Newcastle the mood was optimistic amongst the somewhat tired players, especially for the three freshers who would get their first taste of BUCS league tennis.

Captained by number one seed Sam Davies, the group were playing together for the first time, and whilst the first pair won their doubles in a highly pressurised game, the second pair were given a rougher introduction to life in university tennis, losing 6-1 6-3.

The fast courts, huge serves and experienced opponents, all regulars for last year’s Northumbria side, made the matches very different to those played at school or club level for the second pair, who will be able to learn from the experience in the future.

With the doubles leaving neither team an advantage, the pressure mounted as the players prepared for their individual battles.

During the singles that followed, Northumbria were able to call upon fresh players, an advantage that saw third seed Jules Delay lose 6-3 6-2 in a fierce match and fourth seed Niels Althuis suffer a similar fate.

Excellent singles wins against fresh opponents for team stalwart Morosz (6-4 6-1) and Davies (6-4 6-1) however meant that York drew 3–3 in the end and left Newcastle with a point, and a good start to the season maintained.

Whilst the team will hope for a victory on the return visit from their opposition, they can be optimistic for the season ahead with a good squad built of predominantly first year students, who will only improve with time and future talent.

The team is currently looking forward to next week’s cup match in Central Lancashire, and will hope to do well against a strong side. Tennis at York is a growing sport, with more members this year and talk of a roof for the courts circling the gossip columns. All in all, the future looks bright for the club and the team.