Halifax footballers banned from league

Second and third years of the Halifax firsts football team have being banned from competing this term after causing substantial damage on their ‘World tour’ of campus social

Photocredit: Agatha Torrance

Photocredit: Agatha Torrance

Second and third years of the Halifax firsts football team have been banned from taking part in the league this term, due to incidents which occurred on their last ‘World Tour’ of campus. The decision came from the Deputy-Vice-Chancellor.

Halifax footballers rampaged across Heslington West, in their annual end-of year celebration, raiding the library and causing substantial damage to the Courtyard. The team’s ‘World tour’ has been banned by the University. This is not the first time the Halifax team’s tradition has been reported to have caused carnage.

Nouse was originally told it was unable to print the article because the story had both legal and welfare implications. This was because the University was conducting their enquiry into the damage caused. Jane Grenville has confirmed the University does not “tolerate anti-social behaviour” and called the players actions “unacceptable.”

Mindful of the University’s reputation, Nouse was not permitted to see the official report and was told: “We have to protect the reputation of the University.” But Halifax first team captain, Matt Darling, told Nouse: “ I wasn’t there on any world tour or Halifax social last year. So I can’t comment on the events that occurred that night. But whatever happened is not condoned by any of the current captains and we are all working hard with the University to find the culprit.”

Despite the team deciding to play their scheduled match each week as a friendly (with second and third years playing) Charlotte Winter, York Sport President, told Nouse the University is watching the team closely and that they have been banned from playing these friendly matches. Halifax has been forced to cancel their match against Derwent this Sunday.

Winter revealed: “Obviously I was incredibly disappointed to hear about the incidents from last term’s World Tour Social, and for that reason I do think the ban that has been put in place is a fair punishment. The behaviour displayed on that social is not something which will be tolerated within the York Sport Union.”

George Offer, Halifax College Chair, commented: “What happened is a real shame, and the behaviour was completely unacceptable, we really hope those involved will not let this impact other aspects of college sport.”

1. I bet halifax think they’re rock getting a ban, Jcfc best club in the university standard

2. Matt Darling was on two of the three world tours last year. He was served both time in Derwent Bar dressed in drag and throwing abuse at anyone in the bar who wasn’t a Halifax footballer.
    Ban deserved; Halifax football, the worst sports society on campus.

3. The long arm of the law finally catching up with Halifax

4. A well deserved move. I highly doubt that any “normal student” feels that certain aspects of the student experience have been hijacked by yobs.

5. I can understand the length of the ban from competition. But why are they not allowed to play friendly matches that seems extreme. It also looks like a harsh penalty when compared to they penalties handed out to the rugby club for similar events in town, which you could argue bring the university into more disrepute as they happened with outside organisations being damaged and in one case a whole club being evacuated. They never got banned from playing.

Also matt darling was not on world tour, he was working at tokyo on the door doing promotions, so please get your facts straight before tarnishing peoples names.

6. 30 Oct ’12 at 1:36 am

karl pilkington

Charlotte winter is a jobsworth ‘watching the team closely’. You have nothing to do with football, so stop getting involved and let fax play.

7. Our tuition fees are partly subsidising these idiots and their sports teams. Hope this years’ freshers with their £9,000-a-year fees are happy about that.

Good job Nouse for running this story.

8. Good job. Students did not and do not come to university to be harassed and abused. Stupid pathetic teenage boys.

9. Huh, Banter.

10. “Nouse was originally told it was unable to print the article because the story had both legal and welfare implications. This was because the University was conducting their enquiry into the damage caused. ”

Hahahahahahahaha! This story has *NO* legal or welfare implications. Jane Grenville does not want the story printed because it exposes the shitty practices at the University.

The University staff should not be worried about their ‘reputation’. Ensure competency, and a good reputation will precede the University.