Review: Django Django

Photo Credit: Keith Ainsworth, Ark Images 2012

Date: 23 October
Venue: HMV Ritz, Manchester
Rating: *****

Django Django may be a new band, but this doesn’t mean they don’t know what they’re doing. On winning the Q Award for ‘Best New Act,’ the band could only describe the feeling as “quite surreal.” And “quite surreal” is the perfect way to describe the Django’s themselves. The band itself represents the coming together of nations—with singer Vincent Neff from Derry and keyboardist, Tommy Grace from Edinburgh—the sound they produce encapsulates the mismatched nature of the men that make it.

Luckily this sound is sublime; mixing elements from Rock and Roll with modern electro-pop and combining that with everything in-between. This means that when performing live, Django Django can’t help but offer something for everyone and they manage to pull this off with an almost dreamy and magical touch. The band are a storm, hurling you through different musical genres before plonking you down again, dazed but with blood furiously pumping. And you can’t help but enjoy it.

Whether it be the melodious and up-tempo electro beat of ‘Waveforms’ or the pounding guitar beat of ‘Default’ (a song which was in much demand by the crowd), the music of Django Django seems to bleed into you, forcing you to jump up and become part of the band. Accompanied by a beautiful and often trippy light show (including images of men wielding axes), Django Django managed to create an atmosphere unlike anything I’ve felt before.

And much too must be said for the specially chosen support acts. First we were treated to the unusual but sensual sound of Gulp, a band hailing from Cardiff with a lead singer reminiscent of Grace Slick and Kate Bush, rolled into one. Following them was Egyptian Hip-Hop, whose lead singer provided the stand out moment of the evening, delving into the crowd and singing amongst them, arms thrown around strangers.

It made sense to me why Django Django chose these bands to support them; although quite different musically, they all shared a joviality and a knack for creating atmosphere that meant that when Django finally rolled onto the stage, the crowd was set for a magical night.