Netball firsts cruise past Sheffield

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 36-20 SHEFFIELD UNIVERSITY SECONDS
BUCS Northern Conference 4B

Images: Jenny Anderton

York’s netball first team put on a dominant display today to see them take a 36-20 victory over Sheffield seconds. Captain and goal defence Nina Pullman turned in a fantastic performance to ensure that Sheffield could find no way back into the game.

It was a solid and stylish team performance from York and a very promising start to the season.

It was Sheffield that drew first blood, but their lead lasted merely seconds as York equalised after a holding onto a smart rebound. It became a feature of the first quarter as both teams vied for dominance, fluid play saw chances for both sides but it was Sheffield who took an early lead.

York showed resilience and as the first quarter went on a flurry of goals saw them move into the lead.

Sheffield attempted a fight back in the first quarter but York proved to be brilliant at overturning possession and their energy was unmatched by the away side.

An injury to York’s wing attack Bronwen Dalley Smith briefly held up play with Holly Neblett coming on in her place. The home advantage seemed to pay off for York in the second quarter; they maintained pressure and began to score freely against a lacklustre Sheffield defence.

Pullman and goal keeper Lottie Knight combined brilliantly to prevent any hopes of a Sheffield fight back. Their clever and fierce defending was matched by excellent shooting from the outstanding goal attack Amy Moye and new first year goal shooter Emma Griffiths, who was equally impressive.

By the end of the second quarter York had stretched their lead to 19-11 and they dominated the early stages of the third quarter in the same manner.

Again, Pullman and Knight’s determined efforts ensured that Sheffield could not grab any rebounds from their inaccurate shooting. In contrast York’s shooting was incredibly precise and saw them move into an unassailable lead.

In the fourth quarter there was no way back for the Sheffield side and York dominated to surge to 16-point victory.

After the game York Captain Nina Pullman said she was “elated with the score” and she praised York’s “very good pre-season, it’s the strongest squad we’ve seen for a few years and Sheffield are a good team so I’m very proud”. She was also keen to comment on the freshers in the squad who she described as “really good”.

It looks to be a very promising season for York and today’s win was hopefully the start of a successful one as well.