Classy Newcastle too strong for women’s hockey seconds

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 0-4 NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY FOURTHS
BUCS Northern Conference 5B

Images: Lily Grant

An impressive Newcastle team overcame a spirited York side with a 4-0 victory on the JLD. Despite an a early Newcastle goal, York battled well to keep themselves in the game, but three goals in 10 minutes midway through the second-half put an end to the York resistance.

Newly promoted York started the match brightly with some good passing, but it was Newcastle who produced the first clear-cut opportunity of the game. Two Newcastle players raced clear of the York defence; only to be denied by a good save from keeper Abi Craig.

This chance set the tone for the rest of the first-half as Newcastle found themselves camped in the York half, but a string of fine saves from Craig kept the game scoreless.

However, Newcastle eventually found a breakthrough, taking full advantage of a well worked penalty corner.

They almost doubled their lead shortly after when another short corner led to a penalty flick being awarded, but Craig produced another good save to keep the scores level. Newcastle continued to dominate as the half wore on, but the York defense held firm thanks to some stubborn defending.

York had struggled for an outlet all half but just before the half-time whistle, some good work from Briony Peters led to a York penalty corner, but they were unable to capitalise on the opportunity.

The second half saw York come out fighting as they enjoyed more possession inside the Newcastle half. But despite York pushing for an equaliser, it was Newcastle who got the crucial second goal, which was no more than they deserved.

Newcastle added two more goals in quick succession to add some gloss to the scoreline but York continued to work hard right to the final whistle.

Newcastle had just come off the back of a 12-0 win last weekend and captain Harriet Mills was admittedly proud of her team’s defensive effort to reduce the visitors to just four goals.