Derwent display intent with dominant win over Alcuin

DERWENT 52-0 ALCUIN (ALCUIN FORFEIT)

Images: Agatha Torrance

Derwent’s college rugby players recorded a crushing 52-0 win over Alcuin College today shortly before a half time forfeit from the Alcuin players. A brace of tries each from Rob Johnson and Alex Cochrane-Dyet gave Derwent the upper hand over the injury stricken Alcuin side. It was a stark warning from the reigning champions who showed that they were determined to continue in the same style that saw them so dominant last season.

Derwent displayed their attacking prowess early in the first and only half when a determined run from captain Chris Judge gave Derwent an early advantage. It proved to be an ideal start for the defending champions as their scrum half became the first of many to cross the try line giving Derwent an early 7-0 lead.

Derwent’s commanding start to the match was further rewarded by the first of Cochrane-Dyet’s two tries; a difficult angle meant Howmick’s conversion was unsuccessful but nonetheless Derwent’s lead stretched to 12-0 with barely 10 minutes played.

Derwent continued in similar fashion, their powerful attacking prowess continued to break down a fragile Alcuin defence who were plagued throughout the game by injuries.

Cochrane-Dyet converted his team’s sustained period of pressure into points with his second try, which was this time converted to give Derwent a 19-0 lead over their opponents. Rob Johnson then scored what would eventually be the try of the match; the breakaway try stemmed from a fantastic run just inside his own 22 and went on to give Derwent an unassailable lead of 26-0 only 15 minutes into the match.

A flurry of tries from Derwent saw them extend their lead to 40-0 with Howmick scoring a brilliant conversation from a difficult angle. It was Johnson’s second try that confirmed the end for Alcuin and as the players walked off the pitch with Derwent 52-0 up, Alcuin captain Muzzy Foley forced to forfeit after injuries left them without enough players to continue.

It was a disappointing end to the match but Derwent went away a happy side having demonstrated they are certainly up for the challenge of retaining their title. Alcuin went into the match having had very little training as a team and will certainly hope to come back stronger as the season progresses. Ultimately though, Derwent displayed a very promising start to the new season and romped to victory in a thoroughly convincing manner.