Rugby seconds thrashed in Durham

The men’s rugby seconds endured a tough day at the office, as they were beaten 80-5 by Durham thirds on Wednesday

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 5-80 DURHAM UNIVERSITY
BUCS Northern Conference 2B

It was always going to be a difficult day at the office for the University second team, faced with their hardest game, away and with a collection of new players and so it proved as the team was mauled by Durham thirds.

By the time the final whistle was blown the scoreboard read Durham 80-5 York, a dark day indeed. The damage was done in the first half with Durham scoring four quick fire tries.

The game looked like it may settle down when some good play by the York backs created an overlap to allow Tom Arnott to arrogantly finish the move in the corner. Unfortunately it was only a moment of solace in an otherwise miserable day.

Durham proved to be a good team, running at pace, with aggression and offloading well which helped to turn line breaks into trys.

The half time break gave York an opportunity to sort themselves out defensively and the early part of the second half was their best moment.

The offloading game so well utilised by Durham was halted by some big tackles but York could not get their hands on the ball.

The increased pressure put on Durham by York started to tell with the hosts losing their discipline and giving away penalties which allowed York to move down the field.

Despite this York could not capitalise on their possession and Durham moved back up a gear. The game ended as it began with Durham scoring freely while their flyhalf added the extra points.

The final whistle came eventually, the scoreboard looks bad but it only tells half the story. York seconds never gave up, the boys showed commitment and some hard graft to never stop going into the tackles and hitting rucks.

There is certainly room for improvement but there is enough character and talent in the squad to make sure that happens.

The freshmen played their part in what was for them a baptism of fire and a special note should go to Will O’Donnell who played like a man possessed.

It was a tough day for everyone involved, some pride was dented but the side will no doubt bounce back and prove the kind of players they are.

Two games into the season, they sit bottom of the league after two heavy defeats, but will be looking to capitalise on a string of home fixtures in the next month.