YUSU in continued talks with First over bus service

Phtoto credit: johnnyg1955

Phtoto credit: johnnyg1955

YUSU are in continuing discussions with First regarding their decision to scrap the number 4 bus service to Heslington East campus.

From the 7th October the service only went as far as Heslington Hall before returning towards Acomb, meaning that the Heslington East and West campuses will be connected by the UB.1 and 44 services alone.

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, has already expressed criticism at First’s decision.

The decision will place extra pressure on the remaining services at a time where more students and members of the public will be moving between campuses, due to the opening of new Langwith college and Sports Village on Heslington East.

Taylor has urged students to support all services under the wing of UniBus, namely the UB.1 and 44, alongside the Clubbers’ Bus, as the company works in close collaboration with YUSU.

Regarding further talks with First, Taylor commented: “Myself and Bob Hughes [YUSU Welfare Officer] met with representatives from First Transport last week and highlighted to them both individual complaints made by our students, and our absolute dismay with their abolition of Hes East coverage. It became clear that they were not wholly aware of students’ concerns.

“This is no doubt a combination of how they were not key decision makers and how they’ve not attended their last four obligatory transport meetings with the University.”

He added: “This changed once we mentioned the guerilla campaigns being discussed beyond YUSU by students on their own accord. In the meantime, we’d encourage our students to continue their support of the UniBus. “They’re a company who listen, and from that Heslington East will have a Sunday morning service, amongst other improvements.”

Taylor has stressed his priority is to offer the best and most efficient bus services possible to students.

Furthermore, he wished to stress: “If any students have bought any type of multi-journey or season-long bus ticket with First, on the assumption that they’ll be covering Heslington East then please get in touch. The tickets they advertised are valid only after October 8th, which is of course the day after First scrapped their route.”