York clubs have high hopes for the new season ahead

Nouse talks to some of the University’s top teams before the new campaign

Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

Nouse talks to some of the University’s top teams before the new campaign.

Badminton:

The Badminton Club harbour serious hopes of success for all of their sides this season. They will be worth watching in Week 2, when the fixtures see their five sides at home in what will be some tight fixtures – including the men’s first team against Varsity rivals Hull.

Baillie Watterson – Team President

What are your ambitions for the season ahead?
“Badminton club are hoping to provide basic weekly coaching sessions for club members to help development once the term is underway. The team have high hopes this year and are realistically targeting promotion for four of our BUCS teams and successful BUCS cup campaigns.”

Why should people get involved with badminton?
“£20 for three club sessions a week, memorable socials (as well as two formal meals, our annual club holiday and our charity overnightbadminton event) and the chance to be a part of one of the largest and friendliest sports clubs on campus.”

How can you get involved?
UYBC Team trials are Sunday 14th October in the Sports Hall – women from 9am and men from 10am (split by surname).

Men’s rugby:
One of the University’s highest quality sides, the men’s rugby team ply their trade in one of the top BUCS leagues and have a sensational record at Roses, where whitewashing their Lancaster opposition is fast becoming the norm.

Sam Lord and James Faktor – current and former club captains
“Following on from last year, the aim for the first team this year is to secure promotion to the Premiership B. The performances last year were strong in places, but lacked consistency and an ability to close out tight games which is key to winning the league”

Why should people get involved with UYRUFC?
“The club’s best trait is its ability to balance a friendly and vibrant social life with a dedicated and professional attitude that sets up its teams for successful seasons filled with exciting and enjoyable rugby. The club welcomes new players of any ability who want to be a part of potentially the most exciting year in the club’s recent history.”

How can you get involved?
Freshers trials will be on Sunday 14 October on 22 Acres. Contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Rowing:

2012/13 is set to be the most exciting ever in the history of the Boat Club. A sensational campaign last time around saw the men’s VIII pre-qualify for the Henley Royal Regatta.

Ed Scobie – Club President
“Both the Mens and Womens captains have been working hard all summer to put together a detailed and thorough training plan in order for all squads to achieve their full potential. We are hoping that with the recent success of GB Rowing at the 2012 Olympics, winning a total of nine medals, we will have a record intake of keen rowers.”

Why should people get involved?
“Rowing is unlike any other sport, in that it requires immense discipline from each individual member of a crew, for the collective of the boat to succeed. We are a growing and rapidly developing club, with links to national talent selection officials. The beauty of rowing is that not many people have done it before joining university, and we cater for all abilities, and being a complete novice is in no way a disadvantage.”

How can you get involved?

We are at the Freshers Fair in the sports tent. First introductory meeting is at 7pm in V/045 on Monday 15th October. An open afternoon is being held from 1pm-5pm on Wednesday 17th October at the Boat House (details of how to find it on the website uybc.org.uk).

Futsal:

Futsal is a sport in which the University of York truly excels. This season marks a return to the top flight and the club will be keen to uphold its impresive reputation.

Dom Hallas – Club President

“Building on the success of last season, the first team is definitely aiming to win the premier league title and also to once more qualify for the national finals at the end of the season, hopeful of a top four finish at this competition.”

Why should people join the club?
Futsal is a rapidly developing branch of football focused on close control and intricate skills – a great opportunity for football lovers to try something new. Joining the futsal club gets you access to a very high level of coaching and the chance to play in the top BUCS league in the country.

How can you get involved?
Trials will be 3-5pm on Sunday 14th and 8-10pm on Monday 15th in the Sports Tent.

Men’s Football:

After UYAFC’s first team were relegated last year, hopes are high for a successful campaign this time around. Despite their troubling league form in 2011/12 though, they showed their quality with a superb run in the BUCS Cup.

Tom Day – Club President

“This year there is a great sense of optimism surrounding UYAFC.
With the recent addition and utlisation of the York Sport Village and 3G pitch, the club is in a better position than ever to produce a successful campaign. “

Why should people get involved with UYAFC?
“UYAFC is the biggest club on campus with four teams competing in BUCS and cup competitions – we are here to win football matches. The club also boasts a strong social calender with regular events as a club.”

How can you get involved?
Trials: 8th October – 12th October, meet 13:45 at Sports Centre. £1 a day, £3 for the week.

Hockey:

Both ladies’ teams will be looking to build on superb 2011/12 campaigns that saw them both win promotion, while the three men’s teams also have high hopes this year. The Hockey Club is also pioneering a new reduced membership scheme to help students receiving financial support.

Mylo Scurr – Club President

“Following the tremendous success enjoyed by both ladies’ teams last year they will face new challenges against tougher opponents, and we are looking for them to consolidate their new positions. All three men’s teams are gunning for promotion. Perhaps most of all, with York welcoming Lancaster to the JLD for the showdown of our season, UYHC will be aiming for a home whitewash.

Why should people get involved?
“Everyone in the club is so friendly, our weekly socials are very well attended, and all members receive ‘Club and Society’ cards from Vodka Revs, which provide great drinks deals all week round, as well as Mansion wristbands that guarantee Q-jump and free entry on Wednesday evenings. With our new reduced membership and match fees scheme being introduced this year, we are helping remove barriers to competitive sport in a way no other club at York is.”

How can you get involved?

Freshers’ trials are being held on Sunday 14th October – Ladies 1.30-3.30pm Men 3.00-5.00pm, and Tuesday 16th – Men 1.30-3.30pm Ladies 3.00-5.00pm, both at the JLD astro. For more information, freshers should visit www.uyhc.co.uk or contact [email protected]

Women’s Rugby:
YorkSport’s Club of the Year for 2011/12, UYWRUFC are fast improving as a side, securing a brilliant promotion in their BUCS league with a hugely impressive campaign.

Claire Hogarth and Lucy Davies – Club President and Captain

“In order to compete at a higher level this year we have to up our game and that responsibility rests on every individual member as well as the club as a whole. We all strive to be the best we can be and relish this challenge as a chance to prove ourselves.
“This year we are welcoming a new coach to our ranks and we have every hope that he will do great things for the team.”

Why should people get involved with UYWRUFC?
“Women’s Rugby is a very inclusive, friendly group and through relying so much on each other on the pitch and working closely together, we have become a tight-knit group. I have made some of my best friends at University through the team and they have genuinely made my time here at York unforgettable. We welcome experienced players as well as those who have never touched a rugby ball before in their lives and this creates a brilliant team dynamic. We have a thriving social side as well; work hard and play hard!”

How can you get involved?
Freshers trials are on Sunday 14th October on 22 Acres at 12 noon.

American Football:
This is a landmark year for the York Centurions American football team, as they compete in BUCS competition for the first time in their short history. A highly successful campaign last year saw them win at Roses for the first time.

Jack Roberts – Press and Publicity Officer
“This season the York Centurions are playing for the first time as a part of BUCS and hope to improve on their 5-3 record last season. With a strong squad of 2nd and 3rd years we are looking for incoming rookies to be the final pieces as we aim for playoff football.”

Why should people get involved with the Centurions?
“Joining the centurions will give you a chance to be involved in a competitive team sport that is growing in popularity in Britain. It’s not all work however, as the Centurions have weekly socials usually joining up with other York sport teams.”

How can you get involved?
“Freshers tryouts are on Sunday Week One and we will meet at the Sports Centre, but come and find us at YUSU Freshers Fair for more details.”

Other freshers trials include:
Lacrosse – Week Two – Monday 3pm, Wednesday 11am, Friday 3pm, Saturday 11am on 22 Acres.
Netball – 14 October, 2-5pm in the Sports Tent.
Volleyball – 14 October – Ladies 5-6.30pm, Men 6.30-8pm in the Sports Tent.
Women’s Football – 14 October – 2pm on 22 Acres.

All sports clubs can be found at Freshers Fair, Saturday Week One from 9am.