York climbs eighteen places in world rankings

Photo credit: Laura Hughes

Photo credit: Laura Hughes

The University of York has jumped 18 places in the Times Higher Education world university Rankings, yet still remains outside the top 100 at 103rd.

The move means that York stays a considerable way off its peak of 81st in 2010/11, having then fallen to 121st in 2011/12.

The news comes following a spell of turbulence in university rankings for York, having dropped two places in the Guardian rankings, from 15th to 17th, and two places in the Times Good University Guide, from 11th to 13th. However, York was ranked as the UK’s best university under 50 years old by the Times Higher Education guide.

A spokesperson for the University stressed that while the improvement in the world rankings is to be welcomed, more work must be done: “We are very pleased that York has leapt 18 places in the THE World Rankings. We will, however, not be happy until York is back in the top 100 where it belongs.”

Graeme Osborn, YUSU Academic Officer, echoed this sentiment, stating: “The rise in league table positions is good news after a couple of years of falls across all league tables. The University needs to make sure that this is not just a one-off, but rather the first step to getting York back into the world top 100 and UK top 10.”

Students have also welcomed the news. Mphatso Dumisani Kalemera, a second-year student said: “It is a relief to see York back on the up in these rankings. I hope we can continue to climb them and eventually compete with the best.”

The rankings have provoked criticism of the state of higher education in the UK, after just ten UK universities made it into the top 100, compared with 12 last year and 14 in 2010/11. York was one of only 12 Universities that made a gain in the rankings, compared to 29 that fell.