VC to depart December next year

The University has confirmed that Brian Cantor, the University Vice-Chancellor, will be stepping down from his post on 31st December 2013.

Nouse exclusively revealed in May that Cantor was leaving the University but at the time it was not clear when in 2013 he would leave. Next year the University celebrates its 50th anniversary.

In August, Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, announced there would be two consultation meetings for students to attend with the recruiting company, Odgers Berndtson. These are taking place on Wednesday 10th October at 11am in H/G21 and on Monday 15th October at 6.30pm in P/L001.

The advert for York’s new vice-chancellor is expected to go out on 22nd October, with a long list being drawn up between 10-12th December and interviews being held in the beginning of March 2013.

Cantor has been the Vice-Chancellor of York since 2002, when he took over from Professor Sir Ronald Cooke. Professor Cooke had spent nine years at the top of the University and was preceded by Professor Berrick Saul, who was Vice-Chancellor for 14 years. In 2010 the University won the Times Higher Education University of the Year award and, in March, York was accepted into the Russell Group.