Name needed for third Heslington East college

The next stage of the Heslington East development is already well under way with a brand new third college on the new campus expected to be built for the start of the 2014/15 academic year.

The tender process for the third college is almost complete and Evans Property Group are the preferred bidder. Evans were the company behind the building of the recently completed new Langwith College.

It is thought the value of the proposed contract is around £50,000,000 and that there were four bids submitted, including Evans’.

It is expected that the ninth college will have around 620 student beds and the tender proposal suggests that a further new college may be required to be built in around two years time, as the University Plan makes clear.

The University currently refers to the new college as “college nine”, but Jane Grenville, Deputy-Vice-Chancellor, said they were looking for name suggestions.

The current college names are derived from either geographical locations (Derwent and Langwith), historical figures (Alcuin, Vanbrugh, Goodricke, Wentworth), or recent York-related people (James and Halifax).

Grenville suggested a Roman theme for the newest addition to York’s collegiate system, adding the name ‘constantine’ as an example. Constantine was a Roman emperor crowned in the Roman city of York, known as Eboracum, in AD306.

If you have an idea for the name of the new college, please submit it to contact@nouse.co.uk and we will pass on suggestions to the University.