Local Spotlight: The Marzec Group

Photo Credit: Kluens Photography

Photo Credit: Kluens Photography

It’s rare for a band both as young and student orientated as The Marzec Group to be full of such a high level of talent. All nine members of the band, featuring a full brass section, live electronics and saxophone, possess such a technical level of skill, creativity, and knowledge of the genres they play within, that they frequently come up with exhilirating live shows and new sounds.

Led by Luke Marzec (clue’s in the name), whose keyboard and saxophone parts lead the improvisational nature of the band’s melding of jazz and dub, the band have proven their worth repeatedly both on campus, and further afield. Recent sets have included their headline show at Fibbers last term, a support slot with the Dub Pistols, and a slot at Skipton’s Beacons festival, as well as an excellent last minute addition to York’s very own YO1 festival last summer.

Recorded material is slightly thin on the ground currently, but the band are looking to capture the energy of their live show in their first release, overseen by Harry Jones, electronics wizard and leader of the brass section. They can, however, be seen playing in a live Jools Holland style broadcast from YSTV.

Drummer Phil Jones told us about the excellent reception the band have received. “We’ve only been going for under a year now, but we’ve had a really good reaction at the live shows. We just want to make people dance!”

And dance they do. Even at Beacons, amongst such high quality acts as Roots Manuva and Wild Beasts, the band impressed. Catch them whilst you can this term. They play in the Wednesday of Freshers’ Week, on the 10th October.

Check more out here.