Hes East: the significant other

The University must continue to invest in student facilities to make the second campus feel like a student campus

As a new cohort of students embark on their university journey, it is a good moment to take stock of where York has come from and where it is going. The new Langwith college looks impressive, and there appeared to be few problems as around 600 students moved in this weekend. This is the second college to be built on the Heslington East campus, and with the new Glasshouse bar there is more of a community feel to the site. This will only improve over the next few years when a third and brand new college is built. But the University must continue to invest in student facilities to make the second campus feel like a student campus.

Most students living and studying on the Heslington West rarely venture to York’s other side. But why would they? There is no reason for them to. The Glasshouse will provide more of a community spirit, but greater investment in student services and facilities must be made if the two campuses are to feel linked in spirit and not just in name.