Campaign to start new Triathlon Club

Image: ultraBOBBAN via flickr Creative Commons

On the back of the Olympic success of the Brownlee brothers, plans are in place to set up a new Triathlon Club at the University.

The proposals would allow members to be part of the Athletics, Swimming and Cycling Clubs, with the Triathlon Club essentially exsiting in name only.

Arrangements have been made with York Triathlon Club for coaching and loaning of equipment.

The club is expected to be formed in late November or early December once the members quota has been reached and elections have been held to form a committee. Rather than electing a full committee like other sports club, three representatives would be elected to sit on the Athletics, Swimming and Cycling committees.

Memberships are set to be priced at £40, including the prices for Triathlon, Athletics, Swimming and Cycling.

Wingchung Liu, one of the prospective founders, said, “The club’s main focus is to gather likeminded individuals who have always wanted to do a triathlon but not having the opportunity to do so together.

“Similarly, the club’s aim is to promote physical activity and character building through training, discipline and commitment.

“Ultimately, the purpose of the club is to get individuals to participate in an official triathlon competition, such as BUCS or an international triathlon. Whilst all is serious in terms of training, there is also the social aspect to it with individuals both experienced and not to share their thoughts and ideas through common ground.

“At the moment, we are expecting athletes from all kinds of athletic backgrounds such as triathloners, marathoners, swimmers, cyclists and so forth.

“They do not have to be anyone of these to join. Anyone who has the determination and eagerness are most welcome to join the club and skill level will be further established after the club has been set up.”

Students interested in joining are encouraged to sign up to the Athletics, Swimming and Cycling clubs at Freshers’ Fair.

Training times will be Tuesday 7–8pm (swimming), Wednesday 2pm (cycling) and Thursday 5.30pm (running).

Members will have a choice to attend optional training session during the weekend.

Liu added, “The hopes of the coming year for this club, is to get it established, funded by YUSU, participate in its first ever triathlon meet together as a club, get new equipment and finally getting people together and having the time of their lives. After all an individual will have to be somewhat crazy to even think of attempting one.”

For more information email [email protected]

1. Hi,

I’m Interested in Joining your club with a view to competing in a few Triathlons this year.

It will be my first year , so looking for advice etc… to help me along!!

Kind Rgds,
    John
    07733306770