Festival Spotlight: Damnation Festival

Photo credit: Inaki Campos

Photo credit: Inaki Campos

When: 3rd November, 12.30-23.30
Where: Leeds University Union
Who: Electric Wizard, Pig Destroyer, My Dying Bride
Cost: £32
Pros: Nearby, intimate, cheap
Cons: There’s not enough of it

When Halloween is over some of us like to wash off our corpse paint, some of us need not bother. Damnation Festival is a good excuse to not. Voted for by fans as the ‘Best UK Festival’ in Terrorizer magazine, Damnation has given the metal scene a new lease of screaming, growling and ultra-loud life.

Starting 8 years ago in Manchester, Damnation was met with an overwhelming positive response and in 2007 moved to Leeds Met where the demand and number of fans has increased each year. Since 2010, Damnation is now annually held at Leeds University Union, where the “three-stage behemoth” offers the discerning metaller an array of different metal to suit their palate. The 2500 fans who descended upon Leeds last year will back me up on that.

With the highly-anticipated grindcore band Pig Destroyer, playing their first UK show in 8 years and doom metal titans Electric Wizard and My Dying Bride headlining, bands also playing include: Amenra, Belphegor, Winterfylleth, Primordial, Textures, Bossk, Gama Bomb and Witch Sorrow amongst many others.

Check out the full line-up here and buy tickets there.