Professor Green announced as Live & Loud Headliner

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, announced Professor Green would be the headlining act for Freshers event Live ‘n’ Loud

Eva Rinaldi Celebrity and Live Music Photographer

Professor Green was named as the headline act for the 2012 Live & Loud Freshers’ Ball. The long-awaited news was announced on YUSU President Kallum Taylor’s Facebook Page late last night.

The signature event of this year’s Freshers’ Week will be taking place on Heslington East campus for the first time, with a new style described by YUSU as “a non-formal festival theme”.

Taylor said, “We’re buzzing that we’ve got Professor Green to headline Live & Loud. He’s a huge name and that’s exactly what this event needs to really top the show off in style and kick start the year ahead.”

One of the biggest names to perform at the University in recent years, Professor Green has released two successful albums, selling over 100,000 copies of each in the UK alone. The Professor began his rise to fame winning the JumpOff MySpace rap battle in 2008, but after signing to Virgin his single ‘Read All About It’ featuring Emeli Sandé reached number 1 in the UK singles charts last year.

In previous years, restricted capacity at the Freshers’ Ball has led to complaints from ticket holders unable to see the headline acts, but according to YUSU, “With a massive outdoor stage we guarantee that every guest will see all of the headline acts”.

The announcement on Facebook was greeted with excitement, with Robyn Haycock saying “so glad i have a ticket”, and Zisu Andrei saying, “It seems like it’s a boom start. Are you gonna keep it like that the whole year? Hope so”.

Taylor confirmed that two more signed acts would be announced “Over this week and the early bit of next”, adding “There’s a damn good warm up card for it like! Trust me on that!”

UPDATE:

A DJ set by Pendulum was announced as the second act at Live & Loud 2012.

1. It’s called Live & Loud :-)

2. 26 Sep ’12 at 2:57 pm

Professor Nyang Lee

Does anyone know where this fellow gained his PhD?

3. yet another yusu fail. always rubbish names. sort it out.

4. Poor decision by YUSU imo. Would’ve liked another dance act. Last year was a good decision going with DJ Fresh, just central hall gave the whole event a sort of ‘school disco’ feeling and ruined it. If the new outdoor stage is all its cracked up to be then it would have been far better this year. I also think mainstream dance type acts have a wider appeal. Something like Chase & Status, Nero, Jamie xx or Katy B? If if they’re not your cup of tea they will still get you moving. Hope there’s something decent under Pro Green, probably end up with the Kooks or some other band that were popular about 6 years ago but no one likes (ala the Pigeon Detectives and Feeder). Sorry for the negativity YUSU as I understand it must be difficult to book decent acts but I see so many other uni’s my friends go to getting much better.

5. He’s not exactly my taste but so what, I’m sure he’ll be good. I understand why some ppl are complaining, I don’t listen to prof. green at all, but you can’t please everyone. The most important thing is having a good time and it won’t stop me from doing that. And it’s still quite a coup by yusu IMO considering how big he’s gotten. Hopefully tho they’ll have some rock music in there. Looking forward to it!

6. My god, you mean they’re using the same name for the Fresher’s Event for two years in a row?! Whatever happened to splitting it up and naming it a different, confusing thing every time?