Overnight badminton a success for RAG

Images: Agatha Torrance

Dedicated badminton players took part in an epic overnight session last weekend to raise money for RAG.

The session lasted for 12 hours, from 8pm on Saturday night until 8am the next morning, with many then staying on until 6pm that evening for their regular training.

As well as the badminton challenge, the event also incorporated a raffle, tuck shop and auction amongst other attractions, eventually raising around £300 on the night for the RAG charities.

One of the highlights of the night was the sight of people attempting to play whilst wearing sumo wrestling suits.

Josh Cole, Badminton Club Fundraising Officer, said, “We had a great turnout, probably about 70 or 80 people not just from the badminton club but also from squash and loads of others too.

“Money-wise we did really well on the night, hopefully we’ve helped raise around £300 here for the RAG charities.

“It’s really nice that we’ve been able to continue this event once again.

“I think this is the third year it’s been done, so it’s obviously a very popular event and it’s something that we’ll look to keep doing every year.”

New Club President Cassandra Brown added, “I’m really happy with everyone.

“It’s taken so much organisation to get to this point and everyone’s been amazing in helping us make it happen.”

The total money raised is likely to rise significantly in the coming weeks, with the competitors also able to raise their own sponsorship money.

This is seen as the main source of income from the event, and the club will be hoping to match the total of roughly £1000 that has been previously achieved.