Heslington East horse evicted

The horse by Heslington East has been removed from University property following threats from the University of repossession.

A University statement read: “the nuisance involving a number of horses tethered on University property became apparent in early March, but attempts by both University security staff and North Yorkshire Police to persuade the owners to move the animals were ignored.”

However, last Monday, a notice appeared on the fence next to where the horse had been kept, threatening that if the owner did not remove the animal by Friday, then it would be repossessed under the Animal Act of 1971.

The University had taken this step after inspecting the animal to find “no animal welfare issue as the horses were well grazed and watered.

Nevertheless, the animals posed a risk to the welfare of University users, as they regularly broke free,” prompting them to “engage a special company of bailiffs.”

Luckily the animal “was removed by the owners before the deadline and any further incursions will be monitored”. The horse has been moved to a new home, and bailiffs were not called.