Expensive toys are no use to students

Tuition fees will triple next year, just in time for the next batch of iPhones to make an appearance in Apple stores across the globe, and what a better way of celebrating the rise in University funds than to flash the cash? But, there are quite a few alternatives. The University needs to concentrate more on focusing its funds on improving the academic life of the student body. Some of the building work around campus leaves a lot to be desired, and many of the teaching facilities have yet to be updated to the 21st century. So why has it been suggested that a few of Apple’s finest rip-offs here and there will make a difference to student life?

It is not the proportion of money being spent on the technology that is necessarily the problem – out of the University’s total budget, it is rather small. But however large or small the amount of money being spent is, it seems pointless to be spending anywhere near this amount on posh toys. Hardly anyone needs an iPad, they are merely an expensive accessory. Laptops and desktop computers can fulfil the role of iPads for academics and departments, their new shiny toys will not bring the great benefit that the University management expects.