Turbulent league table rankings continue for York

The University of York has dropped two places in The Times Good University Guide league table, falling from 11th to 13th place

The University of York has dropped two places in The Times Good University Guide league table, falling from 11th to 13th place.

The University has described the results as “disappointing,” while insisting that “all league tables should be taken with caution.”

Bath and Bristol, placed last year at 12th and 13th, have overtaken York, moving to 9th and 11th respectively.

The news comes just one week after York was ranked as the best “rising star” University in the UK and the 8th best worldwide in the Times Higher Education (THE) ranking of universities under 50 years old.

The results do, however, indicate a pattern in the more general national league table rankings.

York recently fell from 15th to 17th place in the Guardian’s league table and could only retain its position of 12th in rankings compiled by The Complete University Guide.

Some students have expressed disappointment with the results.

Mphatso Kalemera, a first-year Biochemistry student, described the results as frustrating: “It’s frustrating to see the University continuing on a downward spiral in the tables. They may not be particularly reliable or accurate but students rely heavily on them when deciding where to apply. If York doesn’t become more competitive then we’re not going to attract the best students.”

Speaking in an email, the University described how it plans to address York’s recent decline in the rankings: “We are investing substantially to improve aspects of the student experience…The focus on employability, with additional internship opportunities and alumni networks for graduating students should also make a positive impact.”

The Times Good University Guide, considered one of the most respected University guides, was published in full today.

The league table, which ranks 116 UK universities according to eight criteria, showed little overall change in the top 20 from last year’s results.

Oxford topped the table for the 11th successive year, while Cambridge and the London School of Economics retained their former positions of 2nd and 3rd place respectively.

1. 14 Jun ’12 at 4:53 pm

Hey Arnold! Spot the Dog. Biff and Chip.

I would rate my student experience at York: -999,999,999,999,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000/100.