Racket sports gear up for overnight RAG event

Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

The badminton and squash clubs are set to embark on an overnight challenge to raise money for RAG this weekend.

The event will start at 8pm on Saturday and last for 12 hours, with the badminton club then set to continue with their regular training session immediately after.

Entry will be £3, with a tuckshop and raffle amongst the other attractions on offer in addition to the sporting challenge.

Badminton Team President Baillie Watterson said, “Essentially, we aim to keep a shuttle cock in the air from 8pm-8am before moving onto our regular club session between 9am-12 noon. Some of us will still be playing until 6pm, all to raise money for RAG charities.

“There will once again be a tuckshop and raffle, with some great prizes ranging from badminton shuttles, a free restring and various badminton things to meal vouchers and many other prizes generously donated by local buisinesses.

“Everyone is invited, bring friends, housemates, strangers you drag off the street. £3 entry, you don’t have to stay the whole night, but it is always a lot of fun.”

Fundraising Officer Josh Cole added, “Overnight Badminton promises to be one of the largest sports club fundraising events of the year, with thousands of pounds having been raised by the event previously for RAG. With its open entry policy, anybody is free to come along. Now a legendary event in the UYBC calendar, overnight badminton mixes sport, food, music, raffles into one crazy, but unforgettable night all in the aid of charity. UYBC hopes to see you all there.”