Heslington’s new Sport Village

takes a tour around the new Langwith College and Sport Village

Photo credit: Philippa Grafton

Photo credit: Philippa Grafton

With just over a couple of months to go before the opening of the new Sports Village, I took a little tour around the site to find out exactly what to expect. Whilst the exterior is entirely finished, the cluttered, yet bare interior is an entirely different story.

It is, however, easy to ignore the building site mess and see how the finished product will be; the reception is a fairly large space which, my guide, Mel, tells me, is going to accommodate a little cafe overlooking the pool with plenty of seating.

The pool area consists of the training pool, a 25m pool with a shallow end, separate changing for members and non-members and a viewing gallery overlooking the entire space. The pool should feature electronic starting blocks as well as an electronic scoreboard, all so much more sophisticated than current swimming facilities available to students.

Just tucked slyly away from the pool, and apparently exclusively for members, is the jacuzzi and miniscule steam room. Whilst disproportionately small, it will, no doubt, be extremely popular.

The gym, situated upstairs, is large and, whilst it does not overlook the swimming pool, it does have inspiring views of the car park and ventilation unit. A dedicated weights area should be included at the far-right of the room, featuring a mirrored wall.

Finally, with three spacious and well-lit rooms available for classes, an outdoor pitch currently being built to FIFA standards and outdoor changing to accompany that, the new Sports Village certainly has a lot going for it.

With so much potential and a great deal of building still going on, I can’t help but feel a little dubious about the opening date, currently set for early-August, despite Mel’s assurances that “it’s only the superficial things left to do now”. Only time will tell, but with my newly-bought membership, getting fit has never seemed so exciting.

Photo credit: Philippa Grafton

Photo credit: Philippa Grafton