Strong Vanbrugh performance sees off Derwent thirds

Vanbrugh firsts kicked off their College Cup campaign in ideal style with a convincing 3-0 victory over Derwent thirds

VANBRUGH FIRSTS 3-0 DERWENT THIRDS
Group 4

View on Flickr

Images: Hoagy Davis-Digges

Vanbrugh firsts kicked off their College Cup campaign in ideal style, with a convincing 3-0 victory over Derwent thirds.

In a week dominated by upsets, the result never looked in doubt for James Wilson’s side as they overcame a hard-working Derwent with a professional and composed performance.

The match was under a minute old when Vanbrugh were presented with a gilt-edged chance to take the lead. Neat interplay in the middle of the park saw Jon Gill release Elliot Rous Ross, who shot straight at the keeper when it looked easier to score.

This miss proved only to be a temporary let off for Derwent as Vanbrugh took the lead soon after. A Delap-like long throw from Gill landed at the feet of unmarked Vanbrugh defender Ziggy Heath, who applied the simplest of finishes into the bottom corner of the net.

Vanbrugh continued to press and went close to doubling their lead when Rory Sharkey’s cross-shot hit the top of the bar. Up the other end, Derwent demonstrated their attacking threat when Joe Eyles’ looping volley was also denied by the woodwork.

The next chance of the game fell to Vanbrugh, as a dangerous Sharkey corner was met unconvincingly by Derwent goalkeeper Sam Colclough and was only forced away by a well-placed man on the line.

It was Vanbrugh who were very much in control of the game, but to Derwent’s credit they were working tirelessly to close down their opponents and limit their opportunities.

However, as the match progressed the pressure finally told as Derwent were penalised for sliding in the box and Gill coolly tucked away the resulting penalty to give Vanbrugh breathing space.

After this goal, Vanbrugh’s quality really began to show as first Sharkey shot narrowly wide from a precise Rob Rix pass and then a skilful run and shot by the ever-present Gill was only denied by a fantastic save from Colclough in the Derwent goal.

With Vanbrugh holding a commanding lead, the second half proved to be a slower and less eventful affair as they seemed more content to sit on their lead.

Despite this, they still looked most likely to add to their lead and the impressive Rix was unlucky to see his spectacular 30 yard drive cannon back off the crossbar.

At 2-0 Derwent were never fully out of the game, however they struggled to create any chances of note against a disciplined and well-organized Vanbrugh backline.

There was an element of calamity to Vanbrugh’s third and final goal. As the ball was played to Sharkey on the left wing, his bouncing shot was completely misjudged by Derwent goalkeeper Colclough and nestled into the corner.

As the game drew to a close, good work from Sharkey almost saw him grab his second goal of the game but he powered his shot just wide.

Vanbrugh captain James Wilson was happy with his side’s performance, stating, “It was a good solid performance. It was important to get off to a good start especially with all the upsets which have happened this week.”

Meanwhile, his Derwent counterpart Alastair Carroll felt his side had performed well despite their defeat, stating, “We were unlucky to concede the first goal. It is always difficult to play against one of the better firsts teams and it should not have been 3-0. Overall, Vanbrugh deserved to win but we were a bit unlucky.”

Vanbrugh: Wilson (C), Wignall, Graham, Heath (Brewer), Rix, Sharkey, O’Dwyer (Woodall), Gill, Taylor, Stanier, Rous Ross (Parish)

Man of the match: Rob Rix

Derwent: Colclough, Burke, Carroll (C), Metcalfe, Rippon, Eyles, Welch, Fisher, Park (Nana), Nock, Glassar

Man of the match: Joe Eyles

1. This article was as enjoyable as the match itself. I particularly like the “Delap-like” simile! Commiserations to a Derwent side who didn’t disgrace themselves at all, but the better team certainly won.

2. are there no photos?

3. Scanlan & Arkle came on in the second half. Just to let you know for fantasy football points.

Vanbrugh were clearly the better side, but I don’t know how strong the performance was – Maybe the softest penalty I’ve seen in the college cup, a keeper mistake and a bit of lax defending. Despite dominating possesion they didn’t create many clear cut opportunities after the first couple of mins.

Worthy winners, but other first teams who watching would be backing themselves after that display.

4. Softest penalty? A slide is a slide and is against the rules therefore it was a penalty. Its Vanbrugh’s first game in months so was a strong performance and to score 3 goals against a very defensive minded Derwent side is a solid start to the tournament. Halifax and Derwent 1s struggled to score in similar circumstances.

5. Vanbrugh are surely favourites at this point?

6. If that was a pen, half the challenges on the JLD are fouls. All he did was stretch out his leg and got the ball perfectly. He didn’t lose balance or come off his feet.

As stated in our disclaimer, Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.