Women’s water polo brave in Roses defeat

Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 5-12 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY

York’s women’s water polo side produced a good display against Lancaster, but eventually lost out to a team that just edged them in terms of quality.

There were some superb individual performances, principally those of hat-trick hero Louise Highton and the powerful Hannah Carter. Although the margin of victory was heavy, the team can certainly look forward to a bright future with the move next year to the new Sports Village facilities.

As the game began, Lancaster immediately set out to put York under the cosh, rapidly posting up a 3 goal cushion. York set out to calm things down, with Sophie Gorman getting a good shot on goal that was unfortunately saved by the Lancaster keeper.

Lancaster remained a real threat on the counter attack, with this tactic once again catching York out. The quarter ended at the score-line of 4-0, the Lancaster attack irresistible at this stage.

The second period saw York’s attack markedly more successful, but the team still found itself facing a four goal deficit at the end of the period. Louise Highton had opened the York account in style before Carter composedly swept home a penalty. It was the latter stages that punished York, with perhaps tiredness creeping in. Lancaster scored three times in the dying moments, before Highton grabbed her second to end on a score of 7-3.

York again scored early as the next period began, with Carter swishing a goal high into the corner in style. It was this quarter, however, that saw York most sorely punished. Lancaster repeatedly scored from the counter attack, their direct swimming style difficult to counter. It left York battered and bruised at the end of the period, facing defeat squarely in the face with a score line of 12-4.

York could only regain pride as they went into the final quarter, and it can be safely said that this was achieved, preventing another Lancaster score.

Carter had a powerful effort saved by the Lancaster keeper, whilst her York counterpart was also performing heroics, tipping a couple of Red Rose shots onto the bar. Lancaster continued to attack, but York were stoic in defence, continually making interceptions at vital moments. Finally, Highton completed her hat-trick just before the final whistle, shooting well at the end of a fine passing move and sealing a performance that the entire team can take pride from.