Mixed fortunes for Mixed Table Tennis

Image: Hoagy Davis-Digges

Image: Hoagy Davis-Digges

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 1STS 9-3 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY 1STS

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 2NDS 3-9 LANCASTER UNIVERSITY 2NDS

The University of York Table Tennis teams enjoyed very different evenings at this year’s Roses. While the 1sts had won comfortably 9-3 in a best of 16 contest, the 2nds lost by the same scoreline to a strong Lancaster side.

Anders Hammarback, a first year Chemistry student, impressed for the 1sts and did not concede a single set in his three games, winning two by at least a five point margin.

Equally, Rudy Huang, the only girl in the squad, who stands at little more than 5ft, must have jumped twice that to reach some truly remarkable shots, and stun Lancaster’s Zhi Cao.

The firsts had stormed into a 5-0 lead and despite a brief Lancaster response, which saw at one point a 6-3 scoreline, York never really looked like losing.

Huang sealed the victory with her second win of the night and York’s deciding ninth to cap off a fine all round performance. She was soon mobbed unexpectedly by two York rugby players who had come to watch the event!

Unfortunately, the 2nds were not as jubilant. Lancaster surged ahead 4-0 and despite the best efforts of Adam Schober and Captain Michael Holmes, York could not overturn this lead.

Lancaster’s Rowan Campbell confirmed the 2nds’ defeat with his fourth win in as many games to make it 9-3 as the final score.

Overall, the York firsts victory confirmed four Roses points for the White Rose, while the seconds’ defeat meant missing out on 2. The event itself was played in good spirits, and attracted a surprisingly large and lively crowd.

As stated in our disclaimer, Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.