Review: URY O’Sullivan and Mawn

A few teething problems aside, O’Sullivan and Mawn’s new radio show is genuinely brilliant

Rating: ★★★★☆

This thursday I tuned in to Rosie O’Sullivan and Anna Mawn on University Radio York (URY). It was their first show and I wasn’t expecting much: the long crackly pause before the intro reminded me that this was amateur radio after all. But as the show progressed I became genuinely impressed.

The show is described by the pair as ‘bursting with the odd slice of advice and an occasional Irish jig strummed in between’ which sounds a bit incomprehensible, but the truth is, these two girls have natural talent that shines out amidst the technical hitches and hissing faders.

Admittedly their practical knowledge of actually working the dials wasn’t great, but in some respect this added to the whole ‘rough around the edges’ feel. At one point Anna admitted that they had come into the studio without any prep but they both effortlessly breezed through with a chatty style and a wittiness that sometimes made you forget you were listening to student radio and not seasoned presenters on a national station.

The show is essentially a comedy and in this respect it works really well. Both can do Irish accents that are uncannily authentic but one feature they tried – the stuff marshmallows in your mouth challenge – seemed to fall flat. But teething problems aside, O’Sullivan and Mawn’s quick-witted, entertaining and banterous show is set to be big in the coming term.