The Experiment. 24/7 Apple Flapjacks & Beetroot and Peach Power Smoothies

In the second experiments video we show you how to make apple flapjacks and smoothies

24/7 Apple Flapjacks

To celebrate the opening of the 24 hour library, here is a recipe for a 24 hour snack that is good to eat during any point in the day.
Being on campus for any extended period of time leads to countless vending machine and canteen buys of chocolate bars, muffins and cookies. Not only do they cost a lot, but they also are full of refined sugars and fats that can have a ‘groggying’ effect on your concentration. Making your own sweet things is cheaper and healthier because you can control what ingredients go in to make what you eat.

Flapjacks are better than chocolate bars because they’re more carb heavy and so will give you energy rather than infinite amounts of refined fat. They’re better than muffins because they don’t fall out of your mouth as you eat them, and unlike cookies, their soft texture means that nobody can hear you eat. This means that you can eat them at your library desk without drawing attention to yourself.

This recipe contains no refined sugar, although you can add a little sugar to the honey to give the flapjacks a sweeter kick. Although a healthier sweetener, honey can lose its sugary potency when used in cooking. Porridge oats have a low GI so they release their energy slowly unlike the flour used in cakes. This means that you’re more likely to keep studying for longer.

At the end of last term I was on two batches of these per week. Make them before you go to bed, take a couple wrapped in foil to the library with you the next day and eat them during a break. The texture is soft, and the addition of the apple flavour lightens the stodgy flavour of the oats. The sugar in the raisins at the top of the flapjack can caramelise giving a lovely burnt flavour. These are a real win.

Ingredients:
Porridge oats
Clear honey
Sugar (optional)
Salted butter
A large apple – preferably a braeburn
A handful of mixed nuts and raisins
Other options: a handful of
desiccated coconut, sultanas,
or walnuts

The method:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180/200 degrees, depending on how powerful your oven is.
2. Melt half a pack of butter on a low heat in a medium sized pan.
3. Stir in five tablespoons of clear honey, or however much you like to your taste. Substitute some of the honey with a tablespoon or so of sugar if you want your flapjacks to have a sweeter hit.
4. Take the pan off the heat and pour in the oats.
5. Grate ¾ of the apple with its skin into the pan. Chop the remaining quarter into little chunks and add to the pan, along with your choice of little extras. I suggest adding mixed nuts and raisins. Mix.
6. Pour the mixture into a baking tin and even out with a fork.
7. Cook in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
8. Leave to cool for an hour or overnight, then cut into squares and store in a Tupperware. They should last a week.

Beetroot and Peach Power Smoothies

This experiment wasn’t a particularly successful one. The idea was to replace expensive berries with cheaper ingredients in order to create student-budget smoothies. Having experimented with two new recipes, I have decided that the formula of berries, bananas and yoghurt should not be tampered with. Do try at your peril.

Ingredients –
Peach and banana smoothie:
A few slices of tinned peach (in fruit juice)
Half a banana
4/5 tbsp natural yoghurt
Dessert spoon of desiccated coconut
About 200ml apple and mango juice/any fruit juice

Beetroot Smoothie:
4/5 tbsp natural yoghurt
Ready cooked beetroot
Tsp clear honey

The method:

1. Put the ingredients in a blender.
2. Blend.
3. Drink.