The Gallery nightclub’s future is saved

Photo credit: Lucy Dixon

Photo credit: Lucy Dixon

A review of nightclub The Gallery’s licence has been withdrawn following assurances by its owners to address alcohol-related problems in the club.

The Gallery, previously the venue of the University of York’s official Thursday student night, and recently placed under new ownership, will welcome the decision, which places the club’s future in greater security.

Police licensing officer Mick Wilkinson decided to withdraw the review following an agreement with the owners of the club to improve licensing conditions and control disorder in and outside of the club.

The club will now cut its maximum capacity by 175 to 600 during drinks promotions, improve CCTV, and close earlier on drinks promotions nights, including gradual closures of its 5 bars. Efforts will also be made to staff drink-promotions events in a more organised and structured manner.

The review, set to be heard on the 16th April by City of York Council, was launched in response to an increase in crime and disorder; allegedly linked to the clubs low- alcohol prices and drinks promotions.

A total of 192 incidents were reported at the club between July and October 2011, including accusations of drink spiking.

The review had previously been set to go ahead on 9th January 2012, however was at the last minute postponed to allow new owners Ranimul 2 Limited to come to terms with the problems highlighted by police. Gallery had gone into administration in October 2011 after its parent company, Luminar Leisure, amounted debts of £140 million.

The club has a contentious history with the University, previously accusing YUSU of ‘personally victimising them’ in the wake of YUSU’s decision in 2010 to hold student nights at Tokyo instead of Gallery on Thursdays.