York accepted into elite Russell Group of universities

The University has announced that it has been invited to join the Russell Group, an elite group of universities in the UK that consists of institutions such as Oxford and Cambridge

York was founded in 1963 but has since developed a worldwide reputation

The University has announced that it has accepted an invitation to join the Russell Group, the elite group of universities in the UK.

York was previously a member of the 1994 group, which represents smaller research-intensive universities.

Durham, Exeter and Queen Mary have also been accepted, expanding the Russell Group to 24 members.

Brian Cantor, the University Vice-Chancellor, described the invitation as an “honour and a privilege” given the short history of the institution.

“We have been invited to become a member of a group of highly prestigious universities as a consequence of the great progress we have made since our founding in the 1960s.

“We are not yet 50 years old but our research has a worldwide reputation for excellence and the quality of our teaching and student experience is acknowledged throughout the UK and beyond. York is a truly international university but we are also deeply committed to the great city of which we are a part.”

Accepting a place in the Russell Group means York must resign from the 1994 group. Professor Michael Farthing, Chair of the 1994 Group, expressed his sadness at York leaving but wished the University well for the future.

“It is disappointing that these institutions have decided to leave the 1994 Group, but I wish them well in their new mission group. Like all members of the 1994 Group they are excellent institutions with global reputations. It is a mark of pride that they have been able to build on these reputations through 1994 Group membership.”

The current members of the Russell Group are the: University of Birmingham, University of Bristol, University of Cambridge, Cardiff University, University of Edinburgh, University of Glasgow, Imperial College London, King’s College London, University of Leeds, University of Liverpool, London School of Economics & Political Science, University of Manchester, Newcastle University, University of Nottingham, University of Oxford, Queen’s University Belfast, University of Sheffield, University of Southampton, University College London, and University of Warwick.

Prof Michael Arthur, Chair of the Russell Group, said: “We are delighted to announce that the Russell Group board has invited four more members to join the group, all of whom have accepted.

“Durham, Exeter, Queen Mary and York have demonstrated that – like all other Russell Group members – they excel in research, innovation and education and have a critical mass of research excellence across a wide range of disciplines.”

Immediate reaction to the news on twitter:

1. 17 Mar ’12 at 2:07 am

Mike Ocsolong

Grab your top hats and monocles boys

WERE GOING TO BEAT SOME POOR PEOPLE

2. 20 Mar ’12 at 10:55 am

Dom Mckinnon Green

well i say YAY