York swimmers break world record in day of success

The University of York’s swimmers broke the world 100x100m Medley Relay world record in Manchester on Saturday.

Alongside the world record attempt at the Quest for the Crest gala, it was a highly successful day for UYSWC, as they produced a string of fine displays.

The landmark relay attempt consisted of 25 100m lengths of each stroke, and the new time set was 2 hours, five minutes and 31.44 seconds, which was over half an hour quicker than the previous mark set in Germany last year.

York’s Alice Cary started the relay, with Michael Tansini finishing the attempt on the freestyle.

UYSWC’s Jon Beardsley and Chris Unsworth on fly, Vanessa Donhowe-Mason and Owen Wheeler on breaststroke, and Kim Briscoe on freestyle also took part.

It was a day of success overall for the club, with York finishing fourth in the gala overall, beating the likes of Leeds and Sheffield for the first time.

Notable performances came from Unsworth in the 100m individual medley, as he came in fifth with time of 1.06.10, and Toby Wong’s third placed finishes in the 50 and 100 freestyle, in times of 24.17s and 55.10s respectively.

Jacob Shaw also impressed, as he placed fourth in the 100m and 50m backstroke with 1.06.35 and 31.60.

There was a club record time in the men’s freestyle relay, with the team of Wong, Beardsley, Tansini and Shaw setting a time of 1.40.67 to earn themselves third place and an overall ranking of fifth spot for the UYSWC men.

York’s women went even better, as a series of impressive performances gave them third place overall.

Briscoe placed fourth in the 100m fly with 1.13.77, before Cary won the 100m backstroke in a time of 1.08.96 and also winning the 50m in 32.32. She also managed second spot in the 200m freestyle.

The freestyle relay team, consisting of Cary, Briscoe, Eloise Man and Jo Blair produced with a time of 1.59.57 to place third.

Men’s captain Unsworth was delighted with the club’s landmark performance, saying, “To beat the likes of Leeds and Sheffield for the first time, even if the men did wear girls costumes, is a huge achievement and is really promising for next year”.

President Cesca Baguley, meanwhile, highlighted this display as a platform to build on in the run-up to Roses, commenting, “These performances are especially exciting in the run up to Roses, and even with Hull bailing on Varsity, we are more than ready to thrash Lancaster in May.”