Men’s basketballers claim shock Varsity victory

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 67-47 UNIVERSITY OF HULL

Images: Agatha Torrance

Quick-paced and sharp, York’s men’s basketball team triumphed over Hull by a 20 point margin, winning 67-47 in Sunday’s Varsity clash.

The strong York side sought the lead from the beginning, but Hull’s defensive play kept many of their players locked down for the first quarter, which ended 14-13 to York.

Coming into the second quarter the York side seemed to shed their apprehensions and opened up play with a quick-fire succession of baskets from Cameron Lange ending the quarter 22-15.

York worked cohesively as a team, generally dominating the ball against a side that seemed slow off the ground.

The third quarter was marked by a flurry of points, kick-started by Colin Hill’s free throw, as York increased their lead.

Hull were let down by a lack of exchange between their players, letting confusion get the better of them as Lange continued to score again and again.

The York side suffered a slight wobble during the middle of the third quarter when Hull managed to score a fast series of baskets, bringing the score to 28-23.

Play turned increasingly aggressive as York sought to establish a big lead, achieving this as the quarter finished 49-31, with a sense of desperation palpable from the Hull side.

Coming into the final quarter the Hull team appeared disorientated and confused. York’s swift exchange of players kept the movement of the team fresh and easily able to withstand Hull’s attempt to bring the game level.

On two occasions York players broke free from their markers, travelling down the court with practised ease to push even further into the lead.

With their elegant display attracting a fairly vocal crowd, York players held the score steady at 61-35 as Hull battled desperately to keep them from a thirty point lead.

The play from Hull at this moment was not pretty, but it got the job done and they clawed back the huge lead York had made, conceding only four points and bringing the score up to 63-47 as we entered the very last few minutes of the game.

Hull’s supporters seemed to finally wake up at this point, but their cheers were not enough as evidence by a stylish jump shot from Lange. The game finished with Frank Williams, who had spent much of the game on the bench, proving his worth with a beautifully placed shot in the very final seconds, ending the match 67-47 to York.

Captain Sam Bentley said this of his team’s effort: “I’m very pleased with how this game went, we lost to them by five or six points in the league so it’s great to beat them by a 20 point margin.”