Hull in seventh heaven as York’s hockey men are destroyed

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 1-7 UNIVERSITY OF HULL FIRSTS

Images: Andy Davis

York’s depleted hockey firsts were humiliated on their own turf in their Varsity match on Sunday. Despite being two BUCS leagues above the team from Humberside, they found themselves on the end of a drubbing.

Although at one stage York looked to start a come-back, Hull were the dominant force throughout the match and ultimately deserved the eventual score-line.

Hull were quick to take the lead. A shot inside the York D was deflected by Alex Alonso, the ball trickling desperately through keeper Dong-Oh Shin’s legs and in. Shin was not happy, his manoeuvrability hampered by a foot injury he was playing through, and it was certainly not the start that York wanted.

The next Hull goal followed rapidly, and was much more stylish. A rapid break down the left wing led to a cross being slashed across the box. The ball was pinged at goal by a Hull attacker at the far post, and this time Shin had absolutely no chance.

After a period of relaxed play after this frenetic opening, York were able to grab a goal back. Slicing through the Hull defence, Adam Douglas wormed his way into the area before smashing at goal from the edge of the area. His effort hit the post, but Fred Isaac was on hand to poke home.

After Hull went close with an effort that zipped past the post, they found another goal before the half-time whistle. Shin pulled off an extraordinary double save, but the second allowed the ball to fall free to a Hull man, who flicked composedly over the sprawling keeper.

The second half opened in tepid fashion, with no real action occurring before Hull scored their fourth. A well-organised penalty corner was superbly flicked into the top corner, leaving Shin to merely watch.

Hull’s fifth showed equal finesse, an attacker running into the area before chipping nicely into the top corner. By this point, York heads seemed to have gone down. Hull scored another after poor defending led to a one-on-one opportunity. Shin did his best, rushing out powerfully, but the ball again ran free. The resulting chance was well finished, with the defender on the line unable to stop the goal.

Hull were able to score one more to complete the rout, this final effort rather more scrappy than their other goals. The final whistle brought an end to what was a decisive loss for York.

Captain Alex Alonso put a brave face on the result, stating “It was a big improvement on yesterday (the hockey club play in the Saturday Yorkshire league as well as BUCs). The performance was ok, but man for man, they were all slightly better than us.”

1. 10 Mar ’12 at 10:03 pm

Natalie Montezuma

It was the men’s 2nds playing, as opposed to the 1sts