Dominant women’s basketballers claim all three points in Varsity clash

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 72-28 UNIVERSITY OF HULL FIRSTS

Images: Andy Davis

The women’s basketball firsts produced a dominating display to dispatch their counterparts from Hull 72-28.

Hull started the game brightly edging to a 13-7 with a great 3-point shot, but this was to be the last time they were in front as York pulled it back to 13-13 and then made it 15-13 just before the end of the first quarter.

Although the score was level at 15-15 at the start of the second quarter, a fast break, completed by Mariya Kovalenko, put York ahead again.

From then on the floodgates opened and York moved to a 21-15 lead with points from Christin Kirchhuebel and Lydie Mariutto. Captain Janne Billet and Marta Marscionkaite also contributed to make the score 33-15 with half the game gone.

York continued to extend their lead with lay-ups from Marscionkaite and the impressive Kirchhuebel, amongst others, leaving it 54-21 going into the final 10 minutes.

By this point Hull were out of the game, but York continued to dominate with a fantastic long-range shot from Lydia Mariutto which helped raise the score to 72-28.

Despite a clash of heads in the last five minutes, York had prodcued a convincing display against their Varsity rivals.