Tennis firsts demolish Hull counterparts

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN’S FIRSTS 5-1 UNIVERSITY OF HULL MEN’S FIRSTS
UNIVERSITY OF YORK WOMEN’S FIRSTS 6-0 UNIVERISTY OF HULL WOMEN’S FIRSTS

Images: Agatha Torrance

On a day when York comfortably retained the Varsity crown, both the men’s and women’s tennis lived up to the rest of the sports teams’ achievements by destroying Hull over on the surprisingly well-attended tennis courts.

The Hull crowd were vociferous, but could not prevent their team from going down to a far superior York troop.

On Courts 1, 2 and 3 the men comfortably held off their opponents 5-1 with some scintillating performances. First up on Court 1, Sam Davies and his Hull counterpart took part in an enthralling game, which ebbed, flowed and showed continued passages of simply sensational play, but ultimately resulted in a straight sets 6-4, 6-4 victory for Davies.

On Court 2, Max Reby stunned his opponent, cruising past him 6-1, 6-2 to send York into an early ascendency.

On Court 3 however, in the first doubles match of the tie, captain Peter Masters and Nils Morozs came up short despite taking the first set 6-4, eventually losing the second set 6-4 and the third 7-6 (10-8).

After this first round of fixtures was completed, York wasted no time in putting Hull to the sword. On Court 3 Morozs sauntered past his opponent 6-0, 6-3, and on Court 2 Masters overcame a few scares near the end to secure a 6-3, 7-6 (7-3) victory.

The men completed an almost perfect day when Reby and Davies, despite losing the first set 7-5, won in high quality fashion, winning the final two sets 6-1 and 7-6 (10-6).

Over on Courts 4, 5 and 6, York’s women annihilated their opponents, cantering to a 6-0 win without losing a set between them. Two doubles matches kicked things off, with Annie Campbell and Natasha Johnson playing some superb shots in a 6-3, 6-3 win. In the second of the doubles ties, captain Catharine Hanrahan and Vikki Whittaker acquitted themselves with admirable aplomb, strolling past their opponents 6-2, 6-1.

On Court 4, in the first of the singles ties, Sarah White faced little difficulty defeating her opponent 6-2, 6-4 executing some admirable shots in the process.

In the remaining singles matches, things were equally as straightforward for York’s superwomen. Campbell picked up where she left off from the doubles, cantering past her opponent 6-4, 6-2.

Captain Hanrahan showed precisely why she is so, by trouncing her opponent 6-0, 6-2, completely outclassing the Hull player. Roisin Astell completed the whitewash, coming back from 5-3 down in the 1st set to win 7-5, 6-3.

Women’s captain Hanrahan said afterwards “I am pleased with the nature of the win, as is to be expected!”

Men’s skipper Peter Masters mused, “Hull brought a really strong team down. Luckily we’d had a lot of singles practice recently and we did well. It was a pretty good day all round.”