Netball seconds demolish Hull

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 52-16 UNIVERSITY OF HULL SECONDS

Images: Agatha Torrance

In an eagerly anticipated match-up, it was York who came away with the glory in a highly-charged tie, outclassing Hull 52-16.

The demolition job began, as it would do, in the first quarter, with York racing into an early 7-0 lead with some sublime shooting from goal attack Amy Moye and goal shooter Amy Moll. Indeed, by the end of the first quarter, when York had stormed into a 12-2 lead, the writing was on the wall for Hull’s ladies.

Centre Shadyn Nikzad, wing defence Lucy Daymond plus skipper and goal defence Tess Webb dominated the middle of the court, intercepting, interrupting and instigating everything. More outstanding shooting from the two ladies up front ensured York went in at half time in a fully deserved 28-5 lead.

Indeed, every time Hull came forward they were admirably stopped by the back two of Webb and Daymond, plus York’s goal defence, Carrie Green who marshalled her goal area with the grace, efficiency and sheer class of netball’s equivalent of Edwin Van der Sar.

It wasn’t just the defensive display that deserved recognition however. Some of York’s attacking play, instigated by the trio of Nikzad, Moye, and wing attack Ellie McAlpine, coupled with movement that Barcelona would appreciate, ensured that third quarter replacement India Perry had plenty of opportunities to score. That she did, grabbing a few goals to see York end the third quarter 39-10 ahead.

The final quarter did see Hull put a few more points on the score sheet, with the physical presence of their goal attack causing some problems for the York defence. Indeed, they managed to get their score in the vicinity of respectability, as York let their vice-like grip weaken slightly towards the end.

However, York did manage to knock up a half century of points, with Moye and Moll combining deliciously time after time to see the ladies through end with a hugely satisfying victory.

Captain Webb glowingly reflected on her side’s scintillating performance, saying: “We expected a really tough game, so we made a point of starting really well, and we carried that through to the end, so I’m really pleased.”