Double Varsity joy for York’s badminton firsts

Images: Philippa Grafton

York’s badminton teams thrashed Hull, gaining six points for the home team in Varsity. The women’s badminton team recorded an 8-0 whitewash against their opponents while the men’s team won 6-2.

In the first men’s matches team captain Ballie Watterson recorded a comfortable victory over Hull’s second seed, winning 21-9, 21-12. However, second seed Dan Hirst went down 7-21, 19-21 to Hull’s first seed.

An an early loss did not make York despondent though, as the home side quickly notched up wins in the doubles.

Andy Henderson and Tom Dainty won 21-14, 21-16, controlling the court with superb smashing and well places drop shots.

Meanwhile Tim Robson and Tan Jun Chuen had a tougher game but eventually pulled through to win 21-18, 21-17. This left York with a slender lead at the halfway stage.

In the women’s match, first seed match Rachael Farrington had an easy victory over Hull’s second seed, winning 21-4, 21-4. After losing the first game 24-22 Alice Garcia Megeres came back to win the second game 21-11 and then performed well to win the decider 21-19.

In the doubles, York’s women continued their form recording easy victories. While some of the games were close, York showed the control and precision needed to win the matches.

Next up were some crucial singles matches. Men’s captain Watterson went down in the first game but produced some spectacular badminton in the second game to tie the match. Watterson was struggling in the game, but was buoyed by home support and quickly won four brilliant points in a row to setup a decider.

Despite a brave effort in the final game he was narrowly defeated, meaning Hull gained a second point. Hirst also lost the first game but dug deep and won the second before playing some great badminton to win the decider.

In the final set of women’s singles, the home team produced two brilliant performances. Rachael Farrington annihilated her opponent 21-3, 21-1 while Alice Garcia Megeres came back to win 17-21, 21-18, 21-17.

While York’s women had already won the match, the men’s team needed a victory in the doubles to secure the points. It was not long until York had achieved this after Henderson and Dainty won 21-14, 21-12. Soon, the other doubles game was over with York recording a 23-21, 21-10 victory meaning the home side won the match 6-2 overall.

In the second round of women’s doubles there was a close contest for the first pair but they eventually overcame their Varsity rivals 17-21, 21-18, 21-17. In the other game York took down their opponents 21-6, 21-4 to make it a whitewash.

On the win, men’s captain Baillie Watterson said, “It was a really good performance all round, everyone played well. I’ve got to give a special mention to Dan Hirst for winning the singles. Hull have been destroying everyone in their league so it’s a good warm up for the match on Wednesday. We’re pleased to contribute to Varsity.”

Women’s Captain Clare Breare was delighted with the team’s performance saying, “We’ve done really well. Everyone’s played great. There have been some excellent shots and Charlie Parker has been brilliant. We had great team spirit and a strong team.”