Golfers hand York early Varsity lead

York’s golfers produced a superb performance on Friday to put three points on the board for the home team in this week’s White Rose Varsity competition against Hull.

Playing at Fulford, the York side won five out of six matches to achieve victory.

Tom Mortimer was first to finish off, thrashing his opponent 9&7.

It was not long before York captain, Charlotte Austwick wrapped up her match at the 14th with a 6&4 victory.

In the third game, though, things were looking tighter for York player Chris Forrest. The match was all square after 15 but, with the support of teammates Austwick and Mortimer, he was able to push on and win 16 and 17 to make it 3-0 to York.

Hull then scored their only point of the match in another tight game as Sam Skeratt went down 3&2.

This was only a minor dent to York’s lead as Andrew Broughton soon romped home with a 7&5 win.

Intisar Ishtiaq finished off a satisfying fixture for York, holing a testing four foot putt on the last to seal victory in a close final game.

Team skipper Austwick commented on the team’s performance: “It was a really tight finish but we managed it. I’m really pleased with the team as it’s our first competitive match this year, since we aren’t in BUCS. It’s really encouraging.”

York now take a 6-0 lead into Sunday’s Varsity fixtures, after the karting team also secured victory for the hosts on Wednesday.