Netballers set for Superleague warm-up action

Image: Agatha Torrance

Image: Agatha Torrance

York’s netball firsts team will team up with rivals Hull heading into Varsity weekend, as they take on a combined Leeds and Leeds Met side in a warm-up game for the Netball Superleague clash between Yorkshire Jets and Loughborough Lightning.

The match will take place on Friday night in Hull’s Bonus Sports Arena, with an estimated crowd of around 1000 people.

Shadyn Nikzad, University of York Netball Club President, told Nouse of her excitement as she looks ahead to next week’s match.

She said, “We are really looking forward to our first team combining with Hull to be a part of the warm up game to the Super League game.

“It will be a good chance for the girls to play in front of a big crowd and show how much they have improved this season.

“Both York and Hull are striving for a win and to give Leeds/Leeds Met a great game.

“The game will be brilliant experience for the girls and will hopefully get their heads in the game to play against Hull in Varsity the same weekend.”

York’s netballers are currently fourth in the BUCS Northern Conference 4B, and will be teaming with a Hull side who sit just three points from the top of the Conference 2B.

The teams will then collide on Sunday, in a Varsity schedule packed with netball action.

There are six scheduled games in total, including all three of York’s BUCS sides, a college side and two teams from the Hull York Medical School.