As it happened: YUSU Election Candidate Question Time

All the latest from the YUSU Elections 2012 Candidate’s Question Time, as it happened

10:08 pm

Voting opens next week! See you lot at the Results Night for another live-blog, but before then remember to check out our YUSU Elections supplement out with our latest edition on Tuesday Week 7

10:07 pm

And the questions are over.

10:07 pm

Ahmmed: no jokes this time, he thinks the relationship between full and part time officers is fine already

10:07 pm

Hernando: we need to give them greater responsibilities, and more important roles so that the full-time sabbs can be freed up to actually do their job.

10:06 pm

Latif: part-time officers support a diverse range of students and suggests a handbook – she’s spoken to some officers in her research for the role and they say that they complain about a lack of training

10:06 pm

Taylor (funny one): question boils down to communication. He wants to champion a Wednesday event, suggesting Orange Wednesdays – two for one. “Quids in.”

10:05 pm

Kallum Taylor: keeping officers accountable is just as important as supporting them

10:05 pm

Warner-medley: We need to ask them what they need to do their job. (Applause from crowd.)

10:04 pm

But how much time does he think a Sabbatical Officer has in a day, even if they are paid?

10:04 pm

Carney: Full-time officers need to take more on; it is their job and their involvement needs to increase to allow part-time officers freedom.

10:03 pm

What would you do to support part-time officers more?

10:03 pm

Carney: “York University is in collegiate purgatory” but the Union shouldn’t be sacrificed as a result

10:03 pm

Warner-Medley: the University has to take responsibility for contacting alumni. “They need to up their game.”

10:02 pm

Kallum Taylor clapping and slapping his hands alot…and can’t seem to stand still either – much like Warner-Medley who’s just a bit more jumpy

10:02 pm

Taylor: focus on Wentworth, as they are currently ignored on the periphery, and we need to improve events.

10:01 pm

Thomas Taylor: “digs” the person who asked his, and wants a two-tier university system…the second tier of which we could top with our mediocrity

10:01 pm

Latif: “I think our strength is that we are not Oxbridge”. Got a few exclamations and now a big round of applause.

10:00 pm

Ahmmed: what could be more popular than having a moon base? Hernando: the alumni office needs to step up its game and get alumni to sponsor colleges

10:00 pm

Can you developing the collegiate system beyond being an Oxbridge reject system and a comparable institution?

9:59 pm

Dub-step aren’t gonna be happy…there’s being a couple more questions taken

9:59 pm

And the questions have been curtailed. The crowd is very unhappy. Apparently dub-step is waiting.

9:58 pm

Taylor: the college issue should be taken case by case, and with YUSU’s help they can solve more problems and do so more effectively.

9:58 pm

Everyone’s feeling the restrains of the 30 second rule – perhaps question time should’ve been spread over two nights…

9:57 pm

Warner-Medley: he thinks that we should bring colleges under the umbrella of YUSU.

9:57 pm

Carney: we separated from “lesser” universities by our collegiate system and that system should come first.

9:56 pm

Ahmmed: obviously the moon base will be a mammoth effort which requires JCR’s centralising themselves completely

9:56 pm

Hernando: “There’s a reason we picked York” and he’s going on about the importance of colleges, but he’s been cut off.

9:55 pm

Latif: YUSU need to work with the colleges particularly with reference to second and third year students.

9:55 pm

Taylor (funny one): “I’m always looking to the second term.”

9:54 pm

Where do you see the relationship going between the JCRCs and YUSU and how would you approach future problems?

9:53 pm

To paraphrase Winston Church: “I am a modest man with much to be modest about”

9:53 pm

Thomas Taylor: he’s paraphrasing Winston Churchill and citing his time as Under 13 cricket captain

9:53 pm

Latif: you’ve got to make something fun, we’ve got to give characters to the assemblies and make things more engaging for the average student.

9:52 pm

Ahmmed is finding himself pretty funny at this point.

9:51 pm

Ahmmed: wants to help students meet their dreams and “reach for the stars and climb every mountain higher”

9:51 pm

James Carney wants to move voting online, and will place more emphasis on the collegiate system.

9:50 pm

Now he’s talking about how he will give time to people who approach him.

9:50 pm

Warner-Medley’s been cut off before he began. He ain’t happy.

9:50 pm

Taylor (Kallum this time) will hold an open session when people can come and talk personally, he’s talking about his previous experience as Chair.

9:49 pm

First question asked, and everyone’s shifting feet – nerves clearly circulating to every single candidate – fairly…they’ve only got 30 seconds per answer

9:49 pm

How do you intend to engage ordinary members?

9:48 pm

Taylor’s finished and now we’re on to questions.

9:48 pm

You need to have experience: “I have never been YUSU President”. He’s saying a lot of names and is trying to make some links. He’s going to ask lots of questions, including apparently “will you be my girlfriend?”

9:48 pm

He’s a Doubting Thomas himself.

9:47 pm

He claims that YUSU insinuated that he wouldn’t a good Presidential candidate

9:47 pm

Thomas Stuart Taylor is provoking some laughs. And maybe some libel.

9:47 pm

Thomas Taylor: he’s levelling with us – what does YUSU President do? He’s not sure

9:46 pm

She’d like to strength the links between the University and the established community around us.

9:45 pm

Latif is dressed fully in green tonight, the only female candidate. She’s a clear speaker, not mixing her words in any means and taking her time to convey her points and policies through her facial expressions as much as her language

9:45 pm

Latif: “YUSU is a union. What does that mean?” She’s going on about how students are accused of being disaffected and uninterested. She’s going to change it. “YUSU feels like a clique.” She wants to hold assemblies in Vanbrugh Paradise (bit chilly in this weather)

9:43 pm

He’s going to implement better communication with JCRC, and participation is not about counting members but making sure that members count.

9:43 pm

That little bell is starting to distract candidates, far less relaxed than earlier on. With this much time to wait to make a speech, it’s hardly surprising

9:42 pm

Nacho’s using his hands to express himself but at least he’s staying behind the podium unlike Kallum who wanted to break free

9:42 pm

Nacho Hernando: he’s here because he believes that the Union should enhance student employability and make sure that students get what they pay for in the wake of the fee rise.

9:41 pm

Best received candidate all night. Definitely lifted the mood in the room.

9:41 pm

YES YORK DOES DESERVE A MOON BASE! He’s terribly convincing, with a STANDING OVATION at the back. Has this ever happened before!?

9:40 pm

A good moon-based pun or two getting thrown about right now, and something about cheese

9:40 pm

And points upwards really quite violent – a moon base, you say? We’ll TAKE IT

9:40 pm

“We shall take to the skies.” And apparently build a rocket silo under the lake.

9:39 pm

He’s having problems keeping a straight face already – “tonight, ladies and gentlemen, we CAN colonise the MOON”

9:39 pm

Abir Ahmmed has also been considered a joke candidate – what will he say tonight? He’s in a bright purple shirt, and a huge crowd favourite in here.

9:39 pm

“The Union is not about one man”, he getting very grandiose with his words. “We deserve a voice and I want to give us that voice.”

9:38 pm

Carney’s voice seemed to be a joke to some people through his poem-form manifesto (see www.yusu.org) – but he’s not a joke candidate, reading his speech off very calmly from behind the podium.

9:38 pm

James Carney: his vision is of a YUSU run from the bottom up. The University is a business according to Carney, and therefore we should be in charge. “I believe that democracy is a right we should all have, and we shouldn’t have to walk 20 minutes in the rain to exercise it.” On the small number of student participation.

9:37 pm

Talking about voices – he wants this all to be not about his, but other’s voices

9:36 pm

He’s all about the communication. And the use of the repeated personal pronoun.

9:36 pm

There’ll definitely be a range of candidates tonight – that was a loud, strong voice from Kallum. Now Peter, who uses enunciation more – words like “serve”, “will”, and “reach out” are coming across loud and clear.

9:35 pm

Peter Warner-Medley: “You need someone who can … fix YUSU”. he’s represented students across the board, and has won the York Award for leadership. He has served as a YUSU officer before and he knows what is right and what is going wrong with the Union. He doesn’t feel that the Union is communicating or acting effectively.

9:34 pm

Taylor is keen to stress the 50 year anniversary, but he’s saying that 50% of students don’t know about the Union and his contribution to Vanbrugh college. He’s clearly passionate, he doesn’t just want to give us one or two policies.

9:32 pm

And literally rolling the podium forward

9:32 pm

He’s starting with “let’s get rolling with it now” certainly grabbing our attention…

9:32 pm

Kallum is up first for the speech.

9:31 pm

ONTO the BIG KAHUNA…YUSU President – with a whopping seven candidates

9:31 pm

Shin: “Funding is a key issue”. He’s drawing examples from other universities and how they work their funding.

9:30 pm

Winter: we need to educate our club treasurers about how and where to get funding, and how if the relationships between clubs were better they could share ideas.

9:29 pm

What would you do for clubs who are struggling with funding?

9:28 pm

Winter: we need to start generating hype about sport, and about what is happening. She wants to foster better relationships between Presidents, and working from the top-down rather than the bottom-up.

9:27 pm

Shin: “if we can get more people who are thinking about getting involved to come down and watch, then that’ll help.” Integrate it into socialising.

9:27 pm

How do you aim to generate more support for a team, for example for Roses?

9:26 pm

Shin’s is stressing the need for awareness of college sports, and the need to update the York Sport website.

9:24 pm

Winter wants to extend coverage of college sports in student media, of smaller rather than simply the big sports

9:24 pm

Shin appears keen, but Winter is somewhat perplexed by the direction the evening has taken. She’s offering to help the society buy broomsticks.

9:23 pm

Would you make Quiditch a real sport?

9:22 pm

She wants to continue to publicise the sports that go on her, stating her desire to make York a great university for sport as well as academia.

9:21 pm

She has got a lot of qualifications … is there a sport she hasn’t tried?!

9:21 pm

Charlotte Winter: she’s beginning by talking about her playing Lacrosse last Wednesday and the lack of student support out on the field, despite all the different sports playing.

9:20 pm

He wants to change things that went wrong for him personally and improve as much as he can

9:20 pm

YSTV are blowing kisses at their camera, clearly Dong-Oh’s speech not having an electrifying effect on them.

9:20 pm

He’s concerned about efficiency, awareness and the future of York Sport to provide a “class benchmark”. He wants sports to work outside of its own area such as RAG, and individual teams to discuss how they can improve themselves

9:18 pm

Charlotte Winter is looking very nervous.

9:18 pm

Dong-Oh Shin is the first of the two candidates: he’s comparing being York Sport President to the Olympics, and filling some “big shoes” – literally?!

9:17 pm

YORK SPORT now – with BIG cheers in style

9:17 pm

Harry Clementson is absent because of a Goodricke trip. He wants to make students aware of the decision taken at meetings.

9:16 pm

Burch apologises for changing the evening’s proceedings but says he doesn’t need a long speech and thanks everyone for their time

9:16 pm

Megan O’Kane has used the word “pledge” and has a cracking accent – which seems to have won the room over

9:16 pm

Megan O’Kane thinks that the position is viewed as being “behind the scenes” and she wants to make the position more publicly accountable, and hold YUSU to it’s constitutional framework. She has a sound knowledge from her society role, but she is keen to take a step back and involve herself in a different way.

9:14 pm

Jason Rose: he was one of the first Student Trustees when the position was first created (back in two thousand and what now!?) but he’s still passionate to do the role now and hold people morally accountable

9:13 pm

Mark Taylor is currently talking and he’s just admitted that he’s going to repeat himself a lot. That doesn’t bode well.

9:13 pm

Why is James Burch back again?!

9:12 pm

Burch’s “train dilemma” means that Student Trustees are up next – and who said that YUSU doesn’t listen to the needs of individual students?

9:11 pm

Harry Toynton: he’s a first-year who wants to be involved in student politics to the best of his ability. He wants to secure student choices to suit their needs and decisions

9:10 pm

Hussein Kesvani: he wants to hold Senior Faculty and Chancellors accountable, especially in regards to spending – in regards to commercial decisions as well as academic spending. He wants to help the students he’s talked to who’ve said they feel disengaged

9:09 pm

He wants us to know he’s sorry he’s not here, but he is keen to stress that his knowledge and experience will help students get the best that they deserve.

9:09 pm

Jason Rose is a no show. But there’s a speech being read.

9:08 pm

It’s Itai Choto again for Senate Rep: he’s citing a lot of society involvement, and simply says “if voting for me is wrong, you don’t wanna be right”

9:07 pm

Crowd likes him, and he’s promising to read the script and actually listen in the meetings. Always a good sign.

9:07 pm

He’s running for Student Trustee as well as Senate rep – he promises to be present at anything that happens and is running out of interest mostly…and he genuinely means it!

9:07 pm

James Burch is giving his two speeches at once. His girlfriend’s train has changed so he’s got to go – excuses, excuses.

9:06 pm

SENATE REP candidates: contested by five people including YUSU old-timer Jason Rose, who appears to be the only one not present this evening

9:06 pm

There appears to be some kind of hold-up with the screen – not sure what was going on. We’re back though.

9:03 pm

Emma Hawkens: WomCom gets a lot of bad press, she’s says, but wants to improve the current system by being more inclusive, informative and interactive (the power of 3 AND alliteration right there!)

9:03 pm

One of the women’s officers has now dropped out, leaving the post uncontested.

9:03 pm

WOMEN’S COMMITTEE now, uncontested

9:02 pm

Amy Jepson: she wants everyone to know she loves volunteering and she has been involved from the beginning. She is hoping to get more involved in kids club and camp, she wants to expand volunteering, and engage more with the community. “Hands on volunteering” and she’s been cut off.

9:01 pm

The pair are waving at the crowd now, they seem to be loving the spotlight

9:01 pm

Yu Gao & Guan Li: to provide a variety of volunteering opportunities, including those relating to academic subjects and making these a relevant experience in terms of employability

9:00 pm

Louisa Moorhouse is up first: she currently fundraising officer, she wants to increase access across campus, and improve the spending of the funding that they get.

8:59 pm

massive amounts of cheering going on outside. No idea what’s happening.

8:58 pm

Volunteering Officer has three candidates in the running

8:58 pm

Latif and Warner-Medley, Presidential candidates are sat near each other, Hernando a bit further back with current YUSU Prez Tim Ellis in the row in front of him

8:58 pm

Welfare Officer is now over. On to VOLUNTEERING!

8:57 pm

There is a fair amount of noise going on outside – making it difficult to hear anything. Shhh-ing is now happening across the room.

8:57 pm

Both York Sport candidates have been sighted looking a bit nervous but current Sabbatical Sam Asfahani is owning the entire front row

8:57 pm

Haines is plugging minority groups and their part-time officers on campus.

8:55 pm

There is a lot of discussion going on over the STYC system and the proposed standardisation.

8:54 pm

It’s all taking off over on Twitter, though – follow @yorknouse and @nouselive while you’re at it…

8:53 pm

Not many Sabbatical candidates asking questions tonight. Do they only care about their area of interest?

8:52 pm

Bit of a discussion going on now about how more funding for STYCs is in our future, apparently.

8:51 pm

Is York the oratory hub of the future? Discuss.

8:51 pm

Everyone is a very eloquent speaker tonight indeed – almost no stammering at all.

8:50 pm

Wigley: college support and welfare systems being effective as possible is the most important thing as she feels everything else will follow on from that

8:50 pm

He’s going into a personal anecdote about his supervisor back in the day…we feel ya there Bob

8:49 pm

Hughes: agrees with Haines about the importance of combining academic links with welfare provisions

8:49 pm

Haines: it’s not clear where people should go to for provisions at the moment – so YUSU needs to support the people who are considered (like supervisors) first lines of support/contact

8:48 pm

What’s the biggest problem in welfare provision at the moment and how would you fix it?

8:47 pm

He’s using the example of the YUSU website as a possible area to branch out and improve. (We agree the YUSU website is a nightmare.)

8:47 pm

Just as an aside thought here – can some policies be fulfilled in a year? Should candidates be taking this kind of thing into account? Let us know your thoughts below…

8:46 pm

Hughes: he wants to work more closely with the officers involved, asking them what they need, and how he and YUSU can help them out.

8:46 pm

Wigley: talking to disabled students to find out what support they think they need from YUSU, rather than dictating to disabled students what they should be receiving in terms of help

8:45 pm

What is the welfare Officer’s responsibility to disabled students?

8:45 pm

Haines appears also to be well received by the crowd. On to questions.

8:45 pm

We hate to be the fashion police (again), but both of the boys are wearing matching shirts. Coincidence?

8:44 pm

Lewis Haines: “what is welfare?” According to Haines it means all kinds of things; he wants expansion of events, he’s keen to emphasise the publicity which is needed for campaigns and to make sure that students know who and where they can turn to when they have a problem.

8:43 pm

The crowd seem to love him here, but what do you think?

8:42 pm

Late night food-making facilities in the library, better accommodation facilities, involving students in decision making are among Hughes’ policies

8:41 pm

Hughes appears confident and calm.

8:41 pm

Bob Hughes now, re-running for his current Sabbatical position: he’s talked about some of his previous achievements but he’s looking to the future now

8:40 pm

She feels Welfare knowledge and campaigns are best spread through Colleges, and she’s been Female Welfare Rep to Vanbrugh herself

8:40 pm

She thinks College Welfare teams come in when the internet and friends can’t answer things – and she wants to build a support system down from the role of YUSU Welfare through colleges down to STYCS

8:39 pm

Hannah Wigley: she’s referring back to when she came to university and the sense of overwhelming welfare issues

8:38 pm

Back to the proceedings – WELFARE, 3 candidates

8:38 pm

Graeme Osborn has left, but all the other current Sabbs are still here

8:37 pm

We caught up with some candidates in the break: Abir Ahmmed has stated it’s going interestingly so far, but he’d prefer more discussion of the possibilities of a moon base on campus.

8:37 pm

WILL anything controversial come up this year? At all?

8:36 pm

Two mins before the end of the break…what do you all think of this year’s candidates?

8:24 pm

RAG can get away with this kind of thing – nearly campaigning before campaigning is open…we “BEE-LIEVE” too!

8:24 pm

And the puns are still coming …

8:24 pm

Poor pun, something about wanting to “bee” and how they want RAG to be a “hive”

8:24 pm

RAG Officer is uncontested – Erin Cork & Becky Mursell are running together…dressed as bumble-bees

8:23 pm

Vishnu Nithiyananthan is absent and without a speech.

8:23 pm

Rebekah Phiri: she’s throwing us some “key phrases”, which include encouraging student participation, and is plugging her blog

8:22 pm

“This election has never been about us and the other candidates, but about you. We believe that the only thing that should be separated by colour should be laundry”

8:21 pm

Rohan Banerjee and Itai Choto: want their own friendship to provide a good example of race relations

8:20 pm

Asiya Elgady: she respects the previous work of the officers and wants to work to change the student perception of race – a big goal she realises – but wants to eradicate the need for this role in the future

8:19 pm

mass exodus to the bar appears to be happening. Including Presidential hopeful Kallum Taylor

8:19 pm

Racial Equality Reps is also hotly contested with four sets of candidates

8:18 pm

She wants to “keep pushing, year on year”

8:18 pm

Brearley: has recently re-structured the Volunteering application scheme recently to get people realising the value of the money that they get, and wants activities to be similarly dynamic and innovative – getting Chairs in and saying how they can develop each society year on year

8:17 pm

Marrison: society size is important, but she wants to make herself more available to chat to Chairs during the ratification process

8:16 pm

West: he’s going to look at how much effort societies have made when evaluating society funding

8:16 pm

8:15 pm

What’s the most important thing that comes into the decision when deciding how much of the grant that a particular society gets?

8:10 pm

West: wants RAG to get involved in societies, encourage competition and remove some of the pressure from RAG committee.

8:09 pm

Really like Miss Brearley’s shoes

8:09 pm

Brearley: need to raise awareness about what exactly RAG does. She’s talking about the innovation of having Winter Wonderland and how RAG can offer students a really “unique” university experience.

8:09 pm

Hannah Brearley

8:08 pm

Marrison: balloon launch was very successful, the strengths lie in the individuals and so she’d like more involvement from them

8:08 pm

Helen Marrison

8:07 pm

How will you expand RAG?

8:07 pm

Brearley is discussing how the postering ban can be seen as making students more inventive, and more innovative about how they publicise their events. Still, she’s not that keen on their removal

8:06 pm

Chris West

8:06 pm

West is talking about the impact that posters made when he came to look round.

8:05 pm

Are posters a luxury or a necessity? (big woooo from the crowd)

8:05 pm

Questions, questions questions …

8:04 pm

A sleepover in the Minster? Err…as long as they’ve got the heating on!

8:04 pm

She’s getting faster and faster and it’s getting difficult to keep up ….

8:04 pm

YSTV crew aren’t looking so impressed with Marrison’s pledge that includes them…

8:04 pm

Helen Marrison: “I’d love the opportunity to be the Student activities officer”. She’d like to avoid all the rhetoric, she wants to lobby for more rooms for society expansion, a pot of gold for society ideas and more expansion. She wants to build connections with alumni

8:03 pm

She says she knows the Union and exactly how to change it with realistic premises and wants to do something “amazing” with “our” Union, citing a lot of previous experience along with it

8:02 pm

She wants to reward people’s participation, seeing as 70% of students are involved in activities and says “trust me, I’ve been there” about people loving activities more than their degree. She wants to bring in an accreditation scheme like in York Sport

8:01 pm

8:01 pm

Hannah Brearley, the second Student Activities Officer: wants to take activities off the bench and bring every RAG, activities and volunteering activity to the centre

8:00 pm

RAG is is great health, but he would like to raise the profile of some of the more recent events, such as Winter Wonderland. He has a vision and he wants people to “go west”

8:00 pm

“Postering must return!”

7:59 pm

He’s basically saying that academic achievements are only part of your university experience. He wants to offer freshers a free voucher for the society of their choice. He wants to educate students about talking to the media

7:58 pm

Chris West is up (to a big round of applause)

7:58 pm

STUDENT ACTIVITIES OFFICER: three candidates

7:58 pm

Leon Morris is absent and no speech has been received. Whoops.

7:58 pm

She’s very keen on the idea of getting rid of our current bank and is very apologetic about her late arrival

7:57 pm

That said, if the careers department are doing things at 8pm, HOORAY. That’s dedication.

7:57 pm

She wants to switch banks, so ours is more ethical and environmentally aware.

7:57 pm

Isobel Edwards for Environment and Ethics Officer has arrived- she was late due to a “careers appointment”. At 8pm!?

7:56 pm

He wants to get more Brits involved involved in ISA, breaking down barriers between national and international students

7:56 pm

Some candidates are still writing their speeches – nothing like a last minute tweak

7:56 pm

Maciej Rys is absent but is apparently open-minded and a big traveller. He was an active member of ISA

7:55 pm

What an orator, in a red jumper too. Very striking.

7:55 pm

Ian Lau: he’s a second-year who “doesn’t believe in empty promises”, and wants to expand on his experience as a course rep in representing people, and his final words were “GET IN”.

7:54 pm

They’d like to remove the stigma that they feel is attached to international students

7:53 pm

Ankita Chawla and Mike Anstey: Anstey is currently social sec, and they want to improve the welfare of international students, setting up clinics for them, keep an eye on what the University can do

7:53 pm

Everyone always states what position they’re going for – it’s okay guys, we know! There’s a huge projection of the title and your face right behind you…it’s appreciated though, don’t get us wrong.

7:52 pm

She also wants “fun activities” for international students who can’t go home in the holiday breaks

7:52 pm

Egle Vasiliauskaite up first: she wants to integrate the ISA student body better with the rest of the students at York

7:51 pm

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS REP is hotly contested

7:51 pm

And she’s been belled off stage.

7:51 pm

Lighting on campus still an issue, Hughes feels, particularly in James College and she thinks it’s “below standard”

7:50 pm

Happy to hear about increasing the number of cigarette bins which is one of her policies

7:50 pm

She wants to improve our immediate environment by increasing the number of smoking bins

7:50 pm

Edwards might be speaking later, but Hughes is up

7:49 pm

Environment and Ethics Officer now. It’s contested by two girls: Isobel Edwards who doesn’t appear to be here yet, and Emma Hughes (who is here)

7:49 pm

A lot of people are OUTTA here. Obviously just a keen keen interest in Academic Affairs

7:49 pm

7:49 pm

We’re running “sliiiiightly behind” schedule apparently, and questions are over for the first sabbatical position

7:48 pm

Departments needs to increase visibility of career options and opportunities

7:48 pm

Leishman: she’s talking about how winging it in her third year doesn’t seem to be working, and how the careers service offered is not up to scratch

7:47 pm

There’s quite a few acronyms being thrown around here

7:46 pm

Question: improving graduate prospects, how do you think you will go about doing that?

7:44 pm

Eppie Leishman, running for Academic Officer, delivering her speech [Photo credit: Hoagy Davis-Digges]

7:44 pm

Leishman: sad realisation has been reached that fee rise is going to happen (no way!) we need to get course reps. lobbying, we need to talk to students, and we need to look at improving other aspects as well as academic areas.

7:43 pm

Osborn’s talking about listening to student ideas again.

7:43 pm

Question: both mentioned 9K fee increase, how are going to make the argument that standards have improved in the wake of the rise?

7:43 pm

I’d love a job.

7:42 pm

Osborn: he says all of his policies come from things that students have said to him, and wants to address employment prospects of our graduates in “innovative” ways

7:42 pm

Leishman: she wants to listen to students to return the University to it’s top-ten position

7:41 pm

Questions now: What will you do the get the university back in the top 10?

7:41 pm

The 10 second-to-go bell is pretty cute. Quite relaxed really

7:41 pm

He wants faster feedback, successful persuading the University to invest hundreds of pounds to improve teaching

7:41 pm

He doesn’t want Hes West to become “a forgotten ghetto in the shadow of Hes East” – that got a laugh from the crowd

7:40 pm

Electronic assessment, access to timetables a term in advance not five weeks before, he’d also like to update the teaching environments.

7:40 pm

Megan Cross and Ben Dilks running for Campaigns Officer [Photo credit: Hoagy Davis-Digges]

7:39 pm

He’s got three main policies

7:39 pm

Graeme opens with talk of the fee rise

7:39 pm

GRAEME OSBORN now is the only other competitor for this role – he’s re-running for a second year

7:39 pm

She wants to have one full day per week to speak to students, and says student views and ideas will always be her priority

7:38 pm

Representation equals speaking to students every day, according to Leishman

7:38 pm

“We all deserve our university and degree to be the best that they can be”

7:38 pm

She says £9k fees means that next year’s students need an officer with a strong voice – she thinks that person is her, but also that current students should not be forgotten

7:37 pm

Both candidates are looking pretty serious, Graeme especially. No smiling there.

7:37 pm

Eppie Leishman is the first candidate and she believes student representation (what a buzzword) is the most vital thing possible at every level

7:36 pm

First Full time position now – ACADEMIC AFFAIRS OFFICER

7:36 pm

Chawla has experience from events in Canada. They’re keen for people to email them questions

7:36 pm

Chris thinks that the experience he’s gained as a college ENT will help him in his role

7:35 pm

NEXT: ENTERTAINMENTS OFFICER, uncontested. Chris Edwards (one of the current officers) and Sanchita Chawla

7:35 pm

7:35 pm

She wants to offer students the chance to provide formal feedback to ensure the University is ensuring the welfare of it’s disabled students

7:34 pm

Kirkman’s last words: remember if you don’t think disability committee has anything to do with you at York, then we’re all part of a community and you should have your say too

7:34 pm

Next up Emma Hersey.

7:34 pm

More communication between students and Disabled officers is also on her agenda

7:33 pm

Her policies – contacts for first-year students to make the transition to university less stressful

7:33 pm

It’s contested: two female candidates. Firstly, Madelaine Kirkman

7:32 pm

NEXT: Disabled Students Representative

7:32 pm

Dilks’ top reads “Star in the Hood”. I’d like to think of York as a ‘hood’…hmm. I’ll just dream on.

7:32 pm

Holding regular drop-in session, introduce campaign training, and promote individual societies contacting them for help

7:32 pm

“]

7:31 pm

They want to make campaigning more a part of student life

7:31 pm

A duo now are the only other opposition – Ben Dilks and Megan Cross

7:31 pm

Vanbrugh stalls as a campaign hub too. (We like the Danishes there)

7:30 pm

Peter is keen to make Campaigns Committee more inclusive, and wants to make campaigning on campus more accessible and fun

7:30 pm

CAMPAIGN CANDIDATES NOW – Peter Hollingsworth isn’t here so there’s a stand in for him

7:29 pm

7:29 pm

Lots of other candidates looking pretty nervous at the moment, especially the ones going for Sabbatical positions…don’t worry guys! It’s only a little speech

7:28 pm

Hall is certainly the most smartly dressed tonight, the other two candidates have gone for a more laid back look

7:27 pm

Taylor thinks that better sign-posting to full and part time officers is key, so that people know who to go to with various issues or topics or discussion

7:27 pm

Josh Allen would show people the process of how ideas or suggestions are translated into action

7:26 pm

Hall wants students to be able to bring ideas to the fore more easily and be able to fine tune them

7:26 pm

Mark’s speech is done. Apparently there’s no limit to the amount of time people have to answer questions

7:26 pm

Luke Sandford, current Union Chair, has asked: “If there’s one thing you could change what would it be?”

7:25 pm

Mark also believes communication is vital and wants to increase awareness about the actions of YUSU

7:24 pm

He wants to ensure inclusivity and thinks experience is key. He cites his role as Arts and Humanities faculty co-ordinator as one of the roles he’s previously held

7:23 pm

Mark Taylor is the third and final candidate, and doesn’t believe the role of Chair is about policies, but facilitating

7:23 pm

He wants everyone to “join the conversation” and be part of a wider Union

7:22 pm

He wants to develop a better sense of Union spirit, on campus and amongst YUSU officers themselves

7:22 pm

He’s name dropping a lot of philosophers…can barely keep up

7:21 pm

Josh Allen now – “Hello, Union!”. Nice opener

7:21 pm

Follow @nouselive if you want updates from Twitter

7:20 pm

He wants a Union that’s more open and democratic for its members. He wants awareness about the kinds of committees that are existing and wants minutes up ASAP so that people know what’s happening and have access to that information

7:19 pm

Nicholas Hall is up first to the podium

7:19 pm

There are three candidates, all male

7:18 pm

The room is pretty full for the first position, Union Chair

7:18 pm

Questions are only for full-time officers though

7:18 pm

Questions will be picked in here by people who have their hands up…send yours in and we’ll ask for you!

7:17 pm

Get commenting throughout the night, we want to hear what you have to say! Part-time officers will have one minute speeches, Sabbatical (full-time) officers will have two minutes

7:17 pm

Alright so we’re in for the long haul – no proxies allowed this year, a member of YUSU staff will be reading out the speeches of anyone who isn’t here

7:14 pm

And we’re off. YUSU appear to have acquired a bell.

7:09 pm

Hello! We’re here in L/N/028 tonight and will be bringing you the latest from the 2012 YUSU Election hustings

1. 16 Feb ’12 at 7:28 pm

Back Row Crew

I miss Oli Lester and Tommy Flynn.

2. I agree with Back Row Crew. It just isn’t the same these days…

3. Don’t worry guys. I’m here in spirit. Fix up vote Sharp

4. 16 Feb ’12 at 7:38 pm

Deirdre Rashid

Someone needs to “fix up” this union, but who??

5. Fight-off!

6. If only someone had a name which fit into a well known song about fixing up…

7. Eppie had a lot going for her – bringing something new into the role. Osborn doesn’t seem to have got that much done over the last year.

8. @nouselive no no no, we’re busy being neutral :O

9. Sleeping in the Minster, anyone?

10. @nouselive more of an oooh I’d say…

11. Forget postering. Why is chalking the sidewalks fine-worthy? :(

12. 16 Feb ’12 at 8:25 pm

agree with luke

what has Osborn done this year ? … his policies are all either faster, better, stronger …yawn … what’s new ? daft punk is so 5 years ago !

13. 25 minutes without a comment? Never happened in my day.

14. @tommy

Tell me about it. I feel too keen. We’ve all migrated over to Twitter it seems. Check #yusuelections

15. 16 Feb ’12 at 9:02 pm

@Dr Tom Flynn

Bad news Tom- people would rather read the Yorker! Bad times

16. Nacho has it spot on. Without a doubt

17. In opposite land? K Taylor only one with the backbone

18. 16 Feb ’12 at 11:35 pm

Engaged Citizen

The Presidential speeches were very interesting. Perceived front-runners Kallum and Nacho didn’t quite do it. Zahra did excellently. Abir’s speech was genuinely rousing and inspiring, not to mention hilarious. TST’s was very funny. Good stuff.

19. taylor – decent ideas. bit too keen
    hernando – didn’t say much
    carney – surprisingly knowledgeable
    latif – unsure of herself, didn’t say enough
    medley – not gonna happen
    ahmed – funny moments
    taylor – hilarious

20. Only one candidate in the entire cohort of hopefuls actually got in-touch with the alumni office to check their facts. They no who they are… As for the rest… http://www.york.ac.uk/alumni

21. 17 Feb ’12 at 12:37 am

Opposition to Big Egos

@Dr Tom Flynn

If I remember correctly, the reason there used to be so many comments is that you used to post a huge number of them. Quite often you would use multiple false names at the same time.

22. 17 Feb ’12 at 8:57 am

Not Dr Tom Flynn

@opposition to Big Egos

Hilarious. You do realise that isn’t actually Tom Flynn posting, right?

23. 17 Feb ’12 at 9:45 am

Campus Junkie

“T Ngwena” talking about people not checking their facts.

I’d imagine Nouse can see the irony of this…

24. Warner Medley is NOT funny

25. LUKE SHILLING FOR LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

26. sorry, who are these people………………………………..