If at first you don’t succeed…

Well, in a surprising turn of events, it looks like this year the words of 90s musical legend Aaliyah are to become the unofficial motto of this year’s YUSU nominees. With Ben McGladdery already subscribing to the “if at first you don’t succeed/ pick yourself up and try again” school of thought, TR is now privy to the information that Peter Warner Medley, two years after his unsuccessful bid for Welfare Officer, is now gunning for the President throne. Never has such dedication to YUSU been shown since Chris Etheridge ran in 4 successive elections- and we all know how that ended…

English Course rep and Faculty rep Zahra Latif is also thought to be considering putting her name in for the Presidential Race. Whilst her areas of expertise may lie more in the realm of Academic Officer, she has proved popular and efficient, and was voted Course Rep of the year at York’s answer to the Oscars, the YUSU awards, so could bring a little outside perspective to this year’s race. Her candidacy would also beef up the female numbers for what has been a noticeably male-dominated position over the last 4 years; as TR recently noted, there hasn’t been female President since the outspoken Ann Marie-Canning in 2007/8. Will Latif or Wayland show the men how it’s done?

And is there any foundation to the whispers of Tim Ellis considering re-running? TR has only heard speculation, though as history tells us the allure of office has proved difficult to resist. Certainly if he chose to run it would be a blow to the other ambitious nominees, for, as Humphreys, Asfahani and Ngwena have all proved it is something of a golden ticket. But has Ellis done enough to win over the student electorate for a send year running? From TR’s perspective, verdict is out on all counts.

Know something The Race doesn’t? Want to get your name in the game? Keep the rumour mill running, and send all your election tips to [email protected]

1. 5 Feb ’12 at 9:51 am

Chris etheridge

Guys, usually you get your facts right, but I should point out that I only ran in three in a row. In my fourth year I decided not to due to my involvement with Yatterbox and the workload I had for my Masters degree.

2. 5 Feb ’12 at 9:55 am

Chris Etheridge

I should also point out that I did win one of them when Jason Rose and I were elected Campaigns Officers for YUSU.

3. 5 Feb ’12 at 9:57 am

Chris Etheridge

The blog you have linked everyone to in this article shows only that I considered running in my fourth year, but if you do your research you will find that I decided against it at the last minute.

4. Zahra won a YUSU Award, not, as yet a YUSU election.

5. Chris and I did indeed win, in part under the widely attacked banner of “a Sports Centre on Hes East by 2015 (not 2035)” though our Vanbrugh Bridge campaign wasn’t quite the success we hoped for…

Still impressed that Etheridge is paying attention to these things when he lives in London. I mean, I’m still a York Uni student and haven’t been paying too much attention to rumours this year. That said, I came close to beating a re-runner last time I ran, so you never know… >.>

6. Jason, you came nowhere near…

7. 5 Feb ’12 at 7:00 pm

Chris Etheridge

I don’t actually read Nouse very often nowadays. However, I used Google Alerts to monitor every time that my name is mentioned on the internet; so I was always going to spot this.

8. (It’s Cat Wayland, not Weyland)

9. 9 comments, 5 from Chris Etheridge. Commitment.

10. 6 Feb ’12 at 1:26 pm

Tittle tattle

Love how this article has so many mistakes, makes all the gossip meaningless tbh

11. Where is the candidate list?!